1 (edited by CodeXP 2006-12-15 03:42)

Topic: the PA wallpaper dump

Been a while since I last started a topic here, so I thought it was about time I did so again..

As some of you might remember, I've had a few different PunBB sites over the last few years, and this time it's something new again. I've always been into customizing my desktop, and "post your desktop" threads have always been quite popular over at the forum where I spend much of my time. One of the problems with those threads though was that nobody seemed to keep track of the "clean" versions of peoples wallpapers, so I thought such a site would be a good idea. I had an earlier version running on Gallery2 but as time passed, I found it to be way overkill for my needs. The memory requirements was absurd, and I didn't need most of the features it offered.... So, I modified that gallery mod for PunBB (there's actually quite a lot of tweaks & additions to it), wrote a quick little content converter for the old G2 images, and this is how it turned out. There will still be work done on it, but it serves its purpose quite well as it stands. The forum isn't really that active, but that's to be expected as we do most of our discussions over at the PA forums...

Anyway, here's the link: http://gallery.thesecondscreen.com ... Let me know what you think, as I'm always open for suggestions smile

EDIT: Forgot to mention, i've made 3 different styles for the site so far (well, one is the old one I made for my old website, and another is a reworked version of that one) and I'm working on more as I always find things I dislike about them after I've made them... To check them out, either create an account, or log in with the following info:

username: PunBB
   password: PunDemo

Re: the PA wallpaper dump

love the submerged style... very nice.

Man how the hella do you make skin like that i tryed making one but it does not work sad smile i want i sikk one like that but with gray,black,red but i can make them.. how did you do your one..

i was using the spinkbb sad

very nice as always CodeXP!

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

5 (edited by viperxx 2006-12-15 10:40)

wow very nice
i like how you changed the gallery

keep up the awesome work, 10/10

www.Everlasting.co.nr is a friendly MapleStory guild and community

Very nice smile

Are you planning on releasing that skin?

Thanks for the comments everyone!

@PSPpimp: I write all my styles in a good text editor, like Ultraedit or Topstyle, and do the graphics in Photoshop. CSS is easy enough to learn, so my suggestion would be to just look at the source code of what others have made & try to learn from it. That's how I got started smile

@elbekko: Releasing it? I hadn't thought of it until now, but I'll consider it. The problem with releasing the Submerged style is that is would require a few minor modifications to PunBB's source code, as there are places where there are some inconsistent use of certain HTML tags. Nothing that a search & replace would fix in a few minutes though, so if I release it I'd just have to write down the line numbers & files to change... Are there others interested in me releasing that skin?

I see. So you'd actually have to release it as a modification.
It'd be great if you'd release it though wink

elbekko wrote:

I see. So you'd actually have to release it as a modification.
It'd be great if you'd release it though wink

Well, it could be released as just a style, but there would be places where you couldn't get rounded borders on both the left & right side if I did. The problem is that Paul (he's the one doing the markup, right?) for the most part have used the following format for the headers

<h2><span>text</span></h2>

But there are places where the SPAN tag is missing. This leaves you with just one tag to style, thus causing problems. Of course, if you could live with a fixed-width version of the style, you could make the entire H2 graphics into a single image, rounded on both sides, but I don't really like that as a solution...

Yeah, Paul is doing the skinning tongue

Well, I'm sure if you report it to him, he might fix it in 1.3 (if he hasn't already done so).

Very nice Submerged style and the gallery looks great.
Do you plan to make a gallery mod with all your modifications ?

glucarelli wrote:

Very nice Submerged style and the gallery looks great.
Do you plan to make a gallery mod with all your modifications ?

Thanks smile

I kinda doubt I'll be releasing the gallery modifications as it is now. I'd much prefer to wait for PunBB 1.3 and write an extension from scratch, as there are still many things I'd like to add but which is harder to do seeing as it's based on another mod.