1 (edited by pedrotuga 2006-11-23 18:07)

Topic: Rickard "is afraid"

Ok, the thread title mught be not so acurate.

I lived one year in sweden and i love it, sweden and the sweds.

I noticed this:

Rickard favorite quote:
"i am afraid i don't know what you mean with..."

Have you noticed that? "I am afraid..."
I saw it a few times so i asked my girlfriend which is a native swedish speaker about the "being afraid" expression, she had a big laugh.

Other 'swinglish' expressions i find funny:

"can i see you leg please" <- By 'leg' they mean legitimation i.e. id card
"please keep hangging up the line"

to rickard and all the swedish members, don't take this as an offense please

Re: Rickard "is afraid"

"I am afraid" is a very common English expression, nothing to do with being Swedish. Its an alternative to saying "I regret" or "Unfortunately". The fact Rickard is using it tends a suggest a very high degree of fluency in conversational English.

pedrotuga: you must read my posts to find a very bad english tongue

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Well I pretty sure I miss undrestend this message tongue
my english is't so good elso. but for my poinion "I afraid" is image for something we won't him to happend and we not sure :\

is that correct? or am i worng?

Yours, Benny.

It's a language trick, a very common one. And not only in English and Swedish, but others countries as well. For example the *same* expression exist in French, with the same meaning. It has various means, depending on the exact context, but they mostly aren't strong one, that doesn't change the sentence or the original meaning.

zaher: you're not the only one. My english is kind of poor too.

Of course it's correct, the funny thing is that the swedish use it all the time. It's more versatile in their language i'm afraid. ( I did it to, lol )

Ok... but this is sort of stupid topic, sorry... i find it funny. Don't mind me, i have this kind of stupid non interesting talk from time to time.

smile

I'm glad you brought up "Swenglish". I was actually planning on blogging about this, but I guess I'll write it down here instead. One thing in particular regarding Swenglish that annoys the hell out of me, is how Swedes have a tendency to confuse the letter v for w. Pretty much every day I hear someone on Swedish television pronounce MTV as MTWE, Windows Vista as Windows Wista or Eurovision as Eurowision. I throw up a little in my mouth every time I hear someone say it. I have no idea where this comes from. The letter W wasn't even properly included in the Swedish alphabet until earlier this year (going from 28 to 29 letters). I guess one potential cause for the confusion is the fact that the English translation of many Swedish words have v swapped out with w:

Vete -> Wheat
Vi -> We
Sverige -> Sweden

I don't know. Still bugs me though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

8 (edited by Jansson 2006-11-23 23:47)

Vhat do you mean Rickard? big_smile

Rickard wrote:

smile

I'm glad you brought up "Swenglish". I was actually planning on blogging about this, but I guess I'll write it down here instead. One thing in particular regarding Swenglish that annoys the hell out of me, is how Swedes have a tendency to confuse the letter v for w. Pretty much every day I hear someone on Swedish television pronounce MTV as MTWE, Windows Vista as Windows Wista or Eurovision as Eurowision. I throw up a little in my mouth every time I hear someone say it. I have no idea where this comes from. The letter W wasn't even properly included in the Swedish alphabet until earlier this year (going from 28 to 29 letters). I guess one potential cause for the confusion is the fact that the English translation of many Swedish words have v swapped out with w:

Vete -> Wheat
Vi -> We
Sverige -> Sweden

I don't know. Still bugs me though.

Lots of people who speak english as an additional language swap Vs and Ws I find. One thing I must say though, I am always extremely impressed with your english, I am sure it is better than mine wink

Connorhd wrote:

I am always extremely impressed with your english, I am sure it is better than mine wink

Hmm.. What's that brown thing there? Right on your nose.. tongue

I wouldn't be sticking my tongue out so close to it?

Connorhd wrote:

One thing I must say though, I am always extremely impressed with your english, I am sure it is better than mine wink

Thank the Swedish government for not dubbing non-Swedish television shows and movies smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Thank the Swedish government for not dubbing non-Swedish television shows and movies smile

Heh. Yeah, I guess I'll have to go thank my government or whoever controls all that too someday tongue

Connorhd wrote:

Lots of people who speak english as an additional language swap Vs and Ws I find.

I guess it depends on the natives. It's not a common mistake for French native speaking English for example. I work (in English) with Germans, and I haven't seen that one either.

Rickard wrote:

One thing in particular regarding Swenglish that annoys the hell out of me, is how Swedes have a tendency to confuse the letter v for w. Pretty much every day I hear someone on Swedish television pronounce MTV as MTWE, Windows Vista as Windows Wista or Eurovision as Eurowision.

That's surprising (really). The stereotype I hear here in the U.S. tends towards the opposite, i.e. "Sveden ya!"

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Rickard wrote:

Pretty much every day I hear someone on Swedish television pronounce MTV as MTWE, Windows Vista as Windows Wista or Eurovision as Eurowision.

Hmm.. This must really be cause of your creepy accent, never heard it before around here tongue

This thread reminds me of Elmer Fudd smile

Be very very quiet, I'm hunting wabbits

pogenwurst wrote:

That's surprising (really). The stereotype I hear here in the U.S. tends towards the opposite, i.e. "Sveden ya!"

Well, I guess it works both ways sometimes smile

Jansson wrote:

Hmm.. This must really be cause of your creepy accent, never heard it before around here tongue

I'm talking national television. I hear it all the time. And my accent isn't creepy big_smile

Rickard wrote:

smile

I'm glad you brought up "Swenglish". ....

big_smile big_smile

This reminds me of my English professor of the previous two years. All conversations during those classes were in English only (I'm from Belgium, Flanders to be more precise, so we speak Dutch) and whenever someone said just a single word in Dutch, she said she did not understand Swahili. lol smile
I'd like to hear some Swenglish IRL btw smile

Back on topic then... in Dutch the expression "I'm afraid..." also exists: "Ik ben bang dat...", and in French too: "J'ai peur que...". So it really isn't just English!

Yet Another Happy PunBB Admin!

http://driverpacks.net/

Bâshrat the Sneaky wrote:

This reminds me of my English professor of the previous two years. All conversations during those classes were in English only (I'm from Belgium, Flanders to be more precise, so we speak Dutch) and whenever someone said just a single word in Dutch, she said she did not understand Swahili. lol smile

Which reminds me of my favorite line from Austin Powers - Goldmember:

- I'm from Holland. Isn't that viieeeerd?

big_smile

I'm sure the Dutch speak English like that, but us Belgians can actually speak tongue

When correcting fellow Swedes, I often find this paper useful:

http://www.wordforword.se/avoid.htm - Avoiding Swenglish

And on topic - I totally disagree with the first post, "I'm afraid" is for me a very British way of politely regretting something.

Aftonbörsens skapare. Var med och starta något roligt och stort du med!

The word "Swenglish" makes me chuckle every time that I see it.

I love swedish girl.... I don't know who but I guess everytime I saw one in the TV, they are just pretty and attractive. Maybe some swedish can hook me up with their cute friends. big_smile

virgildizon wrote:

I love swedish girl....

Like the Swedish Bikini Team?