Topic: Is it a BUG?

First of all, thanks to punbb team, it is great. smile

My forum(http://www.bsdlife.org/bbs) is powered by punbb-1.2.13(upgraded from 1.2.12), use English version, the main members are chinese.

The 'bug' is when i typed something in "Profiles-->Location", punbb can not display them correcttly, the last several charsets will be changed.

For example, i inputed '???????', it just display '???&#3000'. You see, it is not correct.

The same situation happened at "Administration --> Options --> Board title".

Is it a BUG?

Thanks for your reply. smile

Re: Is it a BUG?

No, try changing the English language's charset to UTF-8
Moved to Troubleshooting

Smartys wrote:

No, try changing the English language's charset to UTF-8
Moved to Troubleshooting

Which file should i modify?
i didn't found the option at "Administration --> Options".

Thanks.

open your main.tpl change the charset to utf-8

or just open your dir " language - english " set it to utf-8

Thanks qie, it works smile

Why not make English (and others) default to utf-8? That would solve a lot of issues people are having.

Since pubBB is so internationalized, there is no reason to keep things legacy encodings.

Making it consistently utf-8 is easy and is the right thing to do.

As for English, simply switching to utf-8 adds no additional data, because utf-8 ascii data is the same as regular ascii. There is no difference in English text in plain ascii and in utf-8.

Solovey: PunBB 1.2.* does not support UTF-8. You can try to use it, but there's no "official" support. We need to make a bunch of changes to the codebase in order to support UTF-8.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

8 (edited by Solovey 2006-12-27 14:42)

Rickard wrote:

Solovey: PunBB 1.2.* does not support UTF-8. You can try to use it, but there's no "official" support. We need to make a bunch of changes to the codebase in order to support UTF-8.

Please do make those changes. UTF-8 should be standard by default.

It's on the to-do list for 1.3

Specifically: Switch to UTF-8 everywhere