Topic: the "legality" of distributing PunBB source files with mods.

not that this will be an issue after the release of 1.3 but is it ok to distribute modified source files with a mod? it's no secret that some problems with mods/installs are due to faulty source edits on the user's end. ie: not doing the edit properly or editing the wrong line. if you could iliminate this you might be able to rid some troubleshooting by the mod author. another reason i ask is there are some users out there i'm sure, that don't want to install a mod for fear of botching an install and ruining their board.

are there any GPL restrictions regarding this? i know this would only work for the board admin who wants only ONE mod... unless the mod author wants to code/edit for other mods. wink

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Re: the "legality" of distributing PunBB source files with mods.

GPL allows you to distribute modified source files, but you need to make it clear that they are not the original files:

GNU General Public License, Section 2 wrote:

a)  You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

If the mod(s) are GPL-compatible, there shouldn't be a problem. If not, the GPL forbids distributing the modified sources, because it requires that the program as a whole (= PunBB + any mods you have added) must be distributed under the GPL:

GNU General Public License, Section 2 wrote:

b)  You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

Of course, IANAL, so there might be something I've missed.

Re: the "legality" of distributing PunBB source files with mods.

Dr.Jeckyl: As Jarkko said, that's absolutely fine. Several mod authors have done this already, actually smile
Since all mods must be released under the GPL, you could distribute a full copy of PunBB with install.php modified to support your mod if you wished tongue