1 (edited by Smartys 2007-01-09 18:10)

Topic: Clarification on a possible security issue

A friend of mine showed me this link which is a tool to register multiple 

Translation:

What does this script exactly do?
The Automatic Registration script allows to register automatically on PunBB forums (definition of PunBB: PunBB is a fast php forum with mysql, postgresql, sqlite database). This script is handy because it allows you to create, in a few minutes, many users, each with a link to your website.

How does this script work?
You need to give a keyword and the script will search for urls who contains that keyword and are based on PunBB technology. Once found the script attempts to register 4 times making some changes.

How much does this script cost?
50 euros

Now what worries me is the Blackhat link atop the page. Yet my question is another, this script claims it will register 4 times, will the registration restriction added with v1.2.11 (?) prevent this? The statement "Once found the script attempts to register 4 times making some changes." is vague in italian too, I'm not sure if it means changes with the password or hacking attempts.
The script seems to be working though, since on punbb-italia.it there's a user whose login is the base url of the link I posted. Is this a real threat or just some lame scripter trick?

[Edited the link -Smartys]

Re: Clarification on a possible security issue

just another type of spam ... the CAPTCHA mod at punres (not sure if it's updated), should take care of these automatically created users ...

Frank H wrote:

just another type of spam ... the CAPTCHA mod at punres (not sure if it's updated), should take care of these automatically created users ...

Thank you.

I've edited the link, as advertising these scripts isn't a good idea
However, my guess is that the script they're charging for is simply a copy of the script that prompted Rickard to add the registration restriction