Topic: No valid language pack '' installed.

Hi.

I've just installed punbb but i can't get it to work. I've ran install.php correctly, created and uploaded config.php, but when i start the forum, i just get this "There is no valid language pack '' installed. Please reinstall a language of that name." message.

I've looked into the database, and "o_default_lang" is set to "English" in the config part.

All the files seem to be uploaded correctly, but obviously something's wrong...

Anyone can help me ? Thanks.

Re: No valid language pack '' installed.

do you have ythe english language folder uploaded under the /lang/ directory?

Yes, i've uploaded all the files 2 or 3 times, just in case, to be sure smile.

Have you modified any of the files?

None of the punbb files that i downloaded. Only the config.php, and i've also added a french language pack.

I'll try to reinstall the forum from a fresh download, if it can help.

Try removing cache_config.php from the cache directory

The first time, i downloaded the "zip" version of the forum, but now i've tried the "tar.gz" version, and reinstalled the whole thing.

Well, everything seems to work fine smile. I'm confused it was so simple, in the end.

Anyway, thanks for the help. And thanks for the good job on punbb smile.

Mmm, there should be no difference hmm

yeah there is no difference in between the 2 packages tongue you must have done something wrong the first time smile anyways glad to help.

There is a problem with the .zip file.  I had the exact same experience.  Works fine with the tar.gz file, but the zip will give you the language error.  So, to all experiencing this problem, just use the gz file.

I had (have) the same problem - only using the gzip file didn't fix it. sad

Donny Bahama wrote:

I had (have) the same problem - only using the gzip file didn't fix it. sad

Good (since the two sets of files are identical, they SHOULD cause the same issues) tongue
Is this as a guest or as a logged in user? If the former, check o_default_lang in the database (and in the cache directory under cache_config.php). If the latter, check the language column for your user

Smartys wrote:

Is this as a guest or as a logged in user?

You tell me! This is a brand new install - I created and uploaded confg.php, went to the root of my forum and got the language error. I presume that on the initial access, I must be logging in as admin, right?

BTW - the text generated for config.php did not contain the closing php tag. Is it supposed to be like that?

I tried removing cache_config.php from the cache directory. I also tried enabling debug mode.
The former had no discernible effect. The latter displayed no additional info on index.php.

BTW - the text generated for config.php did not contain the closing php tag. Is it supposed to be like that?

Yes

You tell me! This is a brand new install - I created and uploaded confg.php, went to the root of my forum and got the language error. I presume that on the initial access, I must be logging in as admin, right?

No, that's the default language for guests: check your config table wink

Smartys wrote:

No, that's the default language for guests: check your config table wink

o_default_lang  is set to English in my config table.

Any chance you could email me a link to your site and FTP details so I can try to track down the bug?

Done. Thanks for the help!

I get this error:
There is no valid language pack 'English' installed. Please reinstall a language of that name.
The problem appears to be that your folder's name is lower case (english versus English) wink

That's not the error here btw, the error here is when the "valid language pack" is simply an empty string

ARRRGH! My ftp client was set to convert everything to lower case! Corrected "english" to "English" - it works now. Thanks for helping a blind man see! wink

Smartys wrote:

Try removing cache_config.php from the cache directory

Smartys 's advice do works,

i'm getting the same question,just delete the cache/cache_config.php ,now it works fine.

Smartys ,you r really a good programmer..:)