Re: Private Message Mod, monitoring messages

seems very nice smartys smile will have a look at this in due time

Hey, this is just my thought on this whole thing.
Don't do it, and if you do, make sure people know that you're doing it.
I would want to know this, before registering at a website....that way I wouldn't register there.
I would recommend more of a "report" pm...

teenagegluesniffer wrote:

I would want to know this, before registering at a website....that way I wouldn't register there.

Off topic: Admins could always just read the database, you know? Isn't that what privacy policies are for?

54 (edited by IDunno 2007-01-20 08:28)

Do you think places like myspace, eharmony, etc and others, including ISP's cannot read your pm's or email?? Believe me they have access to these things if they choose too. If you read they're Terms or Use or (TOS) Terms or Service agreements, in fine print, they 'reserve the right' to aquire information they need to or about a user that relates on their site if they feel (it involves suspected criminal circumstances or activity). Which inturn supercedes a norm privacy policy on some of these sites.... So if they want to, they have right to for this reason. Just read the fine print on some of these sites sometime.

BTW, my Terms of Use Agreement & TOS, on my site, reads this way anyways, where I reserve the right if I see the need to if I am ordered by any law inforcement agency to do so about a user. And yes, every new member on my site has to by-pass my TOU & TOS anyways, which states this, so its not like they don't know after signing up.

But anyways, it would be good though to have a feature like this AP_PM-Monitoring.php thingy available (incase you see the need to use it).

Just my 2cents & Opinion...

IDunno wrote:

Do you think places like myspace, eharmony, etc and others, including ISP's cannot read your pm's or email?? Believe me they have access to these things if they choose too. If you read they're Terms or Use or (TOS) Terms or Service agreements, in fine print, they 'reserve the right' to aquire information they need to or about a user that relates on their site if they feel (it involves suspected criminal circumstances or activity). Which inturn supercedes a norm privacy policy on some of these sites.... So if they want to, they have right to for this reason. Just read the fine print on some of these sites sometime.

BTW, my Terms of Use Agreement & TOS, on my site, reads this way anyways, where I reserve the right if I see the need to if I am ordered by any law inforcement agency to do so about a user. And yes, every new member on my site has to by-pass my TOU & TOS anyways, which states this, so its not like they don't know after signing up.

But anyways, it would be good though to have a feature like this AP_PM-Monitoring.php thingy available (incase you see the need to use it).

Just my 2cents & Opinion...

I know those places have them, and that's why I keep anything I don't want people other than the person i'm talking to, to read, said elsewhere. Forums, are generally a safe place to talk...and features like this are not needed, nor should they be recommended.
Like I said, something along the lines of "report to admin/mod" would be much better. It would essentially do the same thing(while moreso keepign peoples privacy), and would not discourage others like me from visiting your site.

56 (edited by IDunno 2007-01-20 10:59)

Its unfortunete that anyone who runs a website that charges membership, or exchanges money somehow, basically falls under the rules and becomes governed by the "US Federal Trade Commission" (if your servers location is based in the USA) without evening knowing about it. Which is a bummers for webmasters. I also know since all the Myspace controversy, that the Feds are more so clamping down of gaining some control and trying to enacting crazy laws over US based websites & ISP's in requiring them to keep digital/text records and monitoring of all type of comunications/dailog between member/users - because of all the problems with the 'no good' types of people out there. And I wouldn't doubt the feds later will try to enact laws over free message boards/forums/blogs sites somehow eventually. So (I think) a persons privacy rights will not be so private much as time go's on... Anyhow's, so said...

But otherwise, like you suggested, having some type "report" pm mod/plugin sounds like a very good idea. And that would work for me too.

Cheers

IDunno: You need to tell me what problem you're having first

58 (edited by IDunno 2007-01-20 13:35)

Hi Smarty,

Thanks for the reply. Otherwise when I hit the AP_PM-Monitoring.php in my admin panel, the page opens but gives me this::

This is the url displayed::

../forums/admin_loader.php?plugin=AP_PM-Monitoring.php

This is what it shows me this message::

"Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated."

Any idea's Smarty??

Thanks

Don't use -s in the filename, use _

Hi Smarty... Thanks for da info! The underscore thing worked...thks!

BTW,...do I have to RUN the "Start Indexing" thing first before I use this plugin??

Let me know.

thanks

If you don't, it will be very slow wink

Ok.... I understand....Thanks Again for da info!!!!

Cheers!

BTW,  Smarty I noticed after installing this script, that I have a harder time moving around on my site. Does this plugin put a 'heavy load' on the server / database?

Just wondering....

IDunno wrote:

BTW,  Smarty I noticed after installing this script, that I have a harder time moving around on my site. Does this plugin put a 'heavy load' on the server / database?

Just wondering....

Plugins are only run when you view them through the admin panel and I don't think that adding an index to the messages table has much affect on the speed of normal forum operations, so I doubt it's the plugin that's slowing things down.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

65 (edited by IDunno 2007-01-21 01:53)

Hi Pogenwurst,

I thought so. But, geeeeee's does that thing "hang" when you activate that plugin!. It reminds me of that extern.php script when it pulls data from the database...lol...

Thanks

Yes, you're adding an index: it takes quite a while (and MySQL tends to devote itself to that task, which might cause other things to become slow):)

^ Lol, I forgot about the ever important step of adding the index. tongue

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.