Topic: A good planet-planet like software?

Does anyone know a good planet-planet like (xml feed public server aggregator) software?

The original one, I was never able to set-it up (it's very user unfriendly and I don't know python).

Re: A good planet-planet like software?

moonmoon but the current version is a 0.2, a young project

I did some searching around but never found anything I cared for out of the box.

What I plan on doing is using Textpattern and SimplePie together to create a Planet site for aggregated blog posts, I already have a domain at the ready. With the proper cron jobs and the new caching mechanism in SimplePie, it's very doable.

http://simplepie.org/support/viewtopic.php?id=310
http://simplepie.org/blog/2006/08/23/so … -and-date/

I saw you post a couple of days ago when I investigated Simplepie, but it seems a little too ?under the hood? for me. I haven't wrote PHP for several years, and I'm no coder.

Well, maybe I'll check it out more thoroughly. Or even the pure simpliepie multiple feed, without Textpattern (I need it for two little personnel project, one without TXP mostly, the other one with or without TXP, it doesn't really matter/I haven't made my mind yet).

For TXP I've tried the bit_rss plugin (based on Simplepie), but it doesn't work too well for me.

Jérémie wrote:

I haven't wrote PHP for several years, and I'm no coder.

I'm more of a PHP hacker myself and it helps to have a home development environment to play with.

SimplePie shields you away from a lot of the feed complexity and it's very easy to hack the plugin they provide. I now use the Textpattern/SimplePie combo on 5 of my sites and I'm getting better at it every time. I understand the plugin by now and if you take out a lot of the if conditions, like it checks if you want a date or a short description, etc., then it becomes very easy to put your output code in the for loop.

As for PHP feed classes, I've tested all of them, and I like SimplePie's robustness. Ryan and Geoffrey are very active on SVN and continue to enhance their code, the commits are an indication to how difficult it is to keep up with all the feed formats.

Well I have very simple needs in the feed aggregation area...I'll look into it.

moonmoon use SimplePie, you should look at it

I am too.

I use magpie to fetch, it parses all kind of popular feeds like RSS and atom. Then i use punbb as the aggregator itself.  I think punbb is easily shapeable and felxible... you can hack viewforum.php to show a small description of every post for example. Then use viewtopic to allow post discussion.

Some days ago i red about two aggreggators for wordpress. Google for "wordpress aggregator" and you should find them

pedrotuga wrote:

I use magpie to fetch, it parses all kind of popular feeds like RSS and atom. Then i use punbb as the aggregator itself.  I think punbb is easily shapeable and felxible... you can hack viewforum.php to show a small description of every post for example. Then use viewtopic to allow post discussion.

Hey, this would make a nice mod that I could use on one of my boards and it would make a nice extension looking towards 1.3.

11 (edited by pedrotuga 2007-01-31 14:13)

hcgtv wrote:
pedrotuga wrote:

Hey, this would make a nice mod that I could use on one of my boards and it would make a nice extension looking towards 1.3.

That's actually half done (or more) already.
check it out
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=79750#p79750

The original version uses php's mysql native library, read the topic through and you will find another version with punbb dblayer

pedrotuga wrote:

That's actually half done (or more) already.
check it out
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=79750#p79750

I commented on that thread, now I remember. What a difference a couple of months make, now I can use the script. Thanks.