Topic: Add the rel="nofollow" attribute to outgoing links.

Just so you won't endorse a "wrong" site.
http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-nofollow

Re: Add the rel="nofollow" attribute to outgoing links.

This gets my vote as a useful feature in the fight against forum spam (and blog comment spam) for sure.

Implementing it is one more small but useful step in making punBB a less attractive target for spammers.

It would be a nice feature for the punBB administrator to be able to optionally enable for all URL's submitted in forum posts and profiles.

Interesting to note that it is now moving towards being a W3C standard.

This has been raised before for punBB. If you are interested here's a patch to implement it in punBB:
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5930

We've been discussing this internally the last few days. We will definitely do something to make PunBB a less attractive spam target. Whether that means implementing nofollow or just not allowing external links for new users (optional of course), we don't know.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

4 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-02-05 16:13)

the second option get's my vote(no links for members with X posts or less). it's stopped spam cold on my vb forum.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Actually, at the moment, we're moving towards the nofollow approach. That way, we're actively telling search engines not to follow the links. What happens when a search index encounters a non-linked URL is anybody's guess.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

toggle able? tongue

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

toggle able? tongue

Yes.

I think it must be optionally. Forum Administrators have got to choose this option if they want. My suggest is Administartors  should part members [ like posts, titles (admin, moderators, etc. ) ]  and give this permission which admin want.

I think the "nofollow" is a great idea. Besides doesn't it effect your page to link to a site that has been "sand boxed" by Google? Even trusted members may do this.

I see no good reason this shouldn't be on by default.

Why would anyone want to disable it?

Because that's the way the web works. If every link out there is "nofollowed", it will bring havoc on some sites. It should stay off unless you have a good reason not to (like spam).

Rickard wrote:
Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

toggle able? tongue

Yes.

12 (edited by s0me0ne 2007-02-11 04:54)

here are the options u might want

profile link
signatures
guest posts
users with less than 50 posts
all user posts

that maybe too many options, but just throwing out ideas, i've thought about of hacking rel=nofollow into my forums for quite some time (easy hack into parser.php, but i agree it probably should be part of the core)