Topic: Really Simple Upgrade Process

Hey Gang,

I'm a huge fan of punBB and have it running on a lot of sites.  The only frustration is when there is an update to punBB I've got to go through the upgrade process for every single forum.

Starting with the new and exciting version 3 of punBB is it possible to create a one button upgrade?  I'm not a programmer, so I'm sure I'm missing something since the majority of scripts don't have a one button upgrade.  You usually have to download the zip, upload all the files, run some upgrade script, etc. etc. etc.   I have seen a few scripts that provide an upgrade button, so I'd like to believe this is possible.

Anywho, it would be great to log into punBB as admin and get a notification pop up saying,

"A newer version of punBB has been released.  Backup your site and then click the button below to upgrade to the new verion."

Man, that would be SWEET! big_smile

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

Re: Really Simple Upgrade Process

Well, your host would need to allow you to:
Access URLs via PHP
Save a file you downloaded somewhere on the server (usually not the issue)
Decompress the file
Replace your current files with the new files

Everywhere along there there's issues with what hosts allow you to do and with what's allowed for security (ie: Apache on shared hosting should not usually be able to overwrite your files unless you want to make it really easy for someone on your server to "hack" you)
Not to mention, what happens if something goes wrong in the middle? What if you installed mods?

Very valid points Smartys, thanks!    Regarding problems if something goes wrong or mods:  I'd assume that the alternative upgrade steps would still be available, but once 3.0 comes out I would think that upgrading the core wouldn't effect extensions (is that correct?).

Thats one of the things that excites me the most of version 3 is that (again if I understand correctly) extensions will be easier to apply and won't effect the core, and upgrading the core doesn't necessarily effect the extensions.

Rob Ludlow 

reviewum.com wrote:

Very valid points Smartys, thanks!    Regarding problems if something goes wrong or mods:  I'd assume that the alternative upgrade steps would still be available, but once 3.0 comes out I would think that upgrading the core wouldn't effect extensions (is that correct?).

Thats one of the things that excites me the most of version 3 is that (again if I understand correctly) extensions will be easier to apply and won't effect the core, and upgrading the core doesn't necessarily effect the extensions.

Right, that issue goes away with 1.3 (assuming people don't decide to manually hack their code for some reason anyway)

Smartys wrote:

Access URLs via PHP
Decompress the file

Everywhere along there there's issues with what hosts allow you to do and with what's allowed for security (ie: Apache on shared hosting should not usually be able to overwrite your files unless you want to make it really easy for someone on your server to "hack" you)
Not to mention, what happens if something goes wrong in the middle? What if you installed mods?

My experience with my shared hosting provider is that if I wish to have something installed (for me or a client I host), either I can use an installer through the control panel or I can actually ask them to install it for me (at no charge).  For all the restrictions we may have it doesn't seem we are all that limited, and I would rate my hosting provider as average, meaning they aren't necessarily offering features so different from most others.
  Seems to me being able to install stuff has become common place.  Does this have any relationship to 'the possibilities' being examined in the question brought up here?

(btw, we are using WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-R118 / CentOS 4.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0, which seems to be extremely common and basic, yet provides tons of features.)

Cheers,

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

twohawks wrote:
Smartys wrote:

Access URLs via PHP
Decompress the file

My experience with my shared hosting provider is that if I wish to have something installed (for me or a client I host), either I can use an installer through the control panel or I can actually ask them to install it for me (at no charge).  For all the restrictions we may have it doesn't seem we are all that limited, and I would rate my hosting provider as average, meaning they aren't necessarily offering features so different from most others.
  Seems to me being able to install stuff has become common place.  Does this have any relationship to 'the possibilities' being examined in the question brought up here?

(btw, we are using WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-R118 / CentOS 4.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0, which seems to be extremely common and basic, yet provides tons of features.)

Cheers,

Installing through control panel software is different than modifying through plain PHP/Apache wink

7 (edited by twohawks 2007-02-05 00:02)

<2hwks has a major senior moment>
simple minds = simple entertainment
..too much pudding, not enough meat maybe?
uh, I take it all back, of course.

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

The major issue with this (in my opinion) is that it would require you to give the webserver write permissions in the forum root. Not good.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

reviewum.com wrote:

I'm a huge fan of punBB and have it running on a lot of sites.  The only frustration is when there is an update to punBB I've got to go through the upgrade process for every single forum.

I would look for a way to automate this on your end.

guardian34 wrote:
reviewum.com wrote:

I would look for a way to automate this on your end.

I actually had an idea: use the patch file.

11 (edited by reviewum.com 2007-02-05 18:26)

Smartys wrote:

I actually had an idea: use the patch file.

Agreed, the patch file has been working pretty well for me so far.  It is the next best thing to a one button solution. 

The only thing I can think to make it easier would be some way to upload and run the patch file from within the admin interface (that would be so cool).  If that can't work, how about uploading the file via FTP and then visiting a URL to process the upload?   Or does this run into the same permission issues?

EDIT TO ADD:

Also, is it possible to combine the patch file and upload script into one process available through the Admin console?

Rob Ludlow 

It's the same issue. The webserver user would have to have write permissions on everything in the forum root.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."