Topic: IE7 Fix(es)

In order to ensure that PunBB will work correctly when viewed with IE7 you need to add the following to Section 3 of base.css.

/* 3.3 This is the equivelant of 3.2 but for IE7. It is visible to other browsers
but does no harm */

/*Begin IE7Win Fix */
.pun, .pun .inbox, .pun .inform, .pun .intd, .pun .tclcon {min-height: 1px}
/* End of IE7Win Fix */

Any further versions of the 1.2 branch will include this fix. Version 1.3 uses conditional comments to provide a special stylesheet for Internet Explorer which includes everything necessary to ensure it works in both IE6 and IE7.

If anybody encounters any problems caused by this fix or any problems with IE7 which are not fixed please report them here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED - 10/01/2007

In base.css change the first declaration in item 7.1 to this

DIV.postleft, DIV.postfootleft {
    FLOAT:left;
    WIDTH: 18em;
    OVERFLOW: hidden;
    POSITION: relative;
}

This should eliminate the problem of the online indicator not being visible in posts.

Re: IE7 Fix(es)

Updated

Thanks for fix suggestion.

i concur.. tyvm for this! smile

~thegleek

Every time I see a thread about fixing problems for IE, I cry. Not much else to say sad

Check Maid maid service

Why bother supporting IE7? It doesn't bother support w3 tongue

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

Because over 60% of the world's internet users use IE6/7?

elbekko wrote:

Make that more like 85%.

Paul wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Make that more like 85%.

More like 90%.   I have quite a bit of diversity in all the sites I host.  Tech sites tend to have more of a 80 / 20% split while non tech sites can be up to 95 / 5% split.

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

More like 15% IE7, 45% IE6, 30% FF and steadaly droping (75% IE6, IE% in Jan 2006, 57% IE7, IE6 in Jan 2006.

If you encourage that number to drop by dropping support for IE7 you encourage MS to add support for w3 standards (I don't care if they add their own junk above and beyond... but letting MS split the web again... like NS2 and MS3 used to do... is just childish... and I like being the more stubborn child tongue).

deadram wrote:

More like 15% IE7, 45% IE6, 30% FF and steadaly droping (75% IE6, IE% in Jan 2006, 57% IE7, IE6 in Jan 2006.

If you encourage that number to drop by dropping support for IE7 you encourage MS to add support for w3 standards (I don't care if they add their own junk above and beyond... but letting MS split the web again... like NS2 and MS3 used to do... is just childish... and I like being the more stubborn child tongue).

Most people visitng that site are power users and not at all a representitive sample of typical internet users. If you look at local authority sites where the usage pattern is likely to be more typical you find IE6 = 72%, IE7 = 18%; Gecko = 7%, Others = 3%.

A large number, possibly the majority, of people using the web have never heard of Firefox and simply expect web sites to work in the browser that came with their pc. If the site doesn't work they just assume the designer is an idiot. If you are a geek designing a hobby site purely for other geeks then not supporting widely used browsers is fine, otherwise its not even worth considering as an option.

Paul wrote:

Most people visitng...

True nuff... that being said, the rate of growth/decay would seem to indicate a trend, be nice to see what trends other sites are showing *crosses his fingures*

Paul wrote:

A large number, ...

No way to win there, unless you included some code to help support IE7 better, by sending hate mail to a random IE dev members e-mail address every time someone posts on a punbb board ^.~

reviewum.com wrote:
Paul wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Make that more like 85%.

More like 90%.   I have quite a bit of diversity in all the sites I host.  Tech sites tend to have more of a 80 / 20% split while non tech sites can be up to 95 / 5% split.

you wanna shoot out stats? show me your google analytics if u wanna get technical. here's an example of my website from oct 2006 to today, by browser:

http://www.thinkgleek.com/images/browser_versions-all.jpg

and even a breakdown of % of what version of MSIE was being used:

http://www.thinkgleek.com/images/browser_versions-MSIE.jpg

~thegleek

deadram wrote:

No way to win there, unless you included some code to help support IE7 better,

As with most problems, the real solution is education.  EVERY site you work on should detect IE7 (and other non-compliant browsers) and display something like the following:

"The browser you are using (print useragent info here) is not standards compliant and may incorrectly display, or even fail to display, some information we are providing to you.  In order to properly view the content of this and many other sites, you should obtain and install a browser that IS standards compliant, or contact your browser supplier, asking them why their product does not meet widely accepted professional standards.  If they are unable to give you a satisfactory answer, you should replace your current browser with one which is compliant. (insert a link here to a google search for "standards compliant browser")"

If EVERY Linux based site did this, perhaps a significant number of users would find out there is an option.  Don't blame it on users too stupid to change.  Inform them it is the result of predatory, anti-competitive actions of their browser supplier.  Even my wife was able to install FireFox.

I just tried all that stuff out, and now that happened:
http://bydebrasdesigns.com/biblestudy/f … lendar.php
(only in AOL and IE)
Help?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Why is this "fix" messing up my calendar in IE 6?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

It's messed up in IE7 as well wink
You'll have to wait for Paul: I think it may have something to do with the way your page is set up and the fact that it's not valid XHTML

18 (edited by lie2815 2007-03-22 02:05)

What is not valid XHTML?
The problem is, I can't fix it anymore

FluxBB - v1.4.8

lie2815 wrote:

What is not valid XHTML?
The problem is, I can't fix it anymore

Your calendar page: you have some odd pun_include at the top of the page that hasn't been processed, for example

Wow, thanks, Smartys.
I would have never noticed. (So easy - just looking at the HTML code). I actually just did a syntax error in my header.php file - have to go through that again...
Thanks again

FluxBB - v1.4.8

lie2815.. I am looking at this today an its broken in ie5.5 (I did not yet look in ie6 or 7, I need to access with another pc later as those are not installed on mydev machine)...

Couple questions...
1) did you fix this already?
2) is that with cal 2.06 as the code shows, or did you upgrade (2.07b+ has a fix for the week display but I never observed a problem with the main...)

Please let me know if there's anything I need to consider patching in the calendar mod!
Thanks,

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

Works in IE7

this is really weird...in some browsers (e.g. mozilla) the pun_main block moves down in viewtopic/viewforum.
Any fixing ideas?
www.bydebrasdesigns.com/biblestudy/forum

P.S.: it might be because  I changed my template because the width of the extra side blocks in PunPortal is bigger than in the miniportal mod

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Why developers of browsers make this differents . They must agree on one standart.

There is one (well, three in fact). But most people ignore it. And then, the standard let people decide on some interpretation. And the developers don't interpret these the same way.