Topic: Rss Button

Well, seeing as how rss will be more extensive in punbb 1.3 i suggest adding an rss button to the header like so.

(this is just an example from the current version of punbb)

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" href="http://www.fatalgamers.org/forums/extern.php?action=new&type=RSS" title="Forum Feeds" />

Re: Rss Button

Moved to Feature Requests

This has already been implemented in SVN for a while wink

thank you smartys tongue

What about providing an Atom feed instead of RSS? Considering that the code PunBB produces is very neat and semantic (X)HTML, it would benefit from being syndicated in a format that embraces XML like Atom and not mangles it up in CDATA sections or escaped mess like RSS. smile

I might even write this myself, when I think of it. I'll poke a bit around. Where do I ask questions for development on PunBB itself if I have any problems I need help with?

Atom, RSS, and plain XML are provided in 1.3 wink

http://dev.punbb.org/browser/branches/p … extern.php

Looks lovely, guardian34! big_smile Could I ask you guys to have a swift look at Atom Threading Extensions as well? That would make it very well into a forum feed like this!

PunBB's topics are flat, not threaded though

True, but the Atom Threading Extension gives a way to relate original posts and replies to each other, instead of just listing them all as a flat feed of (seemingly) unrelated entries.

asbjornu wrote:

True, but the Atom Threading Extension gives a way to relate original posts and replies to each other, instead of just listing them all as a flat feed of (seemingly) unrelated entries.

Which they are quite possibly wink
extern.php can show the most recent topics posted as well as the most recent posts in a topic. But if you've subscribed to a topic via Atom, I would expect that you read the topic already. So, any new posts in that topic are replies to the original topic post, which you have already read.

I do see the benefits of it for threaded discussion boards: in that case you can see how the original posts and replies relate to each other. However, in a flat discussion board, you're simply getting everything as a reply to the topic post.
That RFC also does not seem to be a standard yet and I'm not sure how widely supported it is (if you have information on that I'd be interested to hear it)

The point of having the relationship between original posts and replies explicitly asserted with Atom Threading Extension is so that feed readers can thread the replies beneath a post correctly, even if the post has already been read. It can be useful when the topic has slipped the user's mind and a reply comes ticking in; he might want to look at the original post again, which he can if the feed reader knows which post the reply he's looking at is a reply to. Without ATE, that's not possible.

With threaded discussions, ATE is even more useful, but it has its benefits in flat discussions as those performed n PunBB as well. FYI, that RFC is as stable as it can get. It has its own RFC number (4685), which makes it "final" in the IETF. I don't have any statistics on how widely supported it is, but the more feeds that incorporate it, the more likely it is that we'll see feed readers implementing it as well. Being able to thread posts and replies is a much wanted feature in feed readers, so I assume that we'll see implementations popping up in the near future.

asbjornu, I didn't read much of what you said, but I thought of this:

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/244/ … ionda5.png

Is that kind of what you're talking about? (If that makes any sense to you?)

Yea, that's one way of visualizing it. It looks like a website, though, which are only one of many ways to create an Atom client. Many clients are desktop-applications that you use like regular e-mail clients, and they can visualize it in many different ways. But I think you get the idea now. Declaring the relationship between the posts makes it possible to follow the relationship back and forth, collect more data and do all sorts of cool stuff with it.