Topic: gentoo.devangels.org

Hello everybody, skin is basic but it's a nice demo of what PunBB can do as a CMS/Blog ...
Gentoo Devangels : binhost

Don't hesitate to share bugs or use the gentoo binhost smile

PunsCMS : Make PunBB to be a serious Blog or CMS.
PunsCMS : Unleash Pun's CMS Power

Re: gentoo.devangels.org

None of the in-site links are working for me.

Just out of curiosity, what's the point of hosting binaries for Gentoo? I thought its main advantage was building everything from source -- or are the binaries you're hosting binary by necessity (closed source)?

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Download binary version of say xorg and kde, then start it up and start working. Build xorg and kde from source in the background.

Personally I prefer using a Knoppix DVD for a working desktop during install, but to each their own?

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

4 (edited by jamespic 2007-03-04 14:50)

pogenwurst wrote:

None of the in-site links are working for me.

Just out of curiosity, what's the point of hosting binaries for Gentoo? I thought its main advantage was building everything from source -- or are the binaries you're hosting binary by necessity (closed source)?

Gentoo has plenty of advantages, the easeness of making binhosts or rsync servers are of it's flexibility.
To me, some of the advantage of using emerge to compile your sources is compiling binaries for your processor architecture and to personnalise configuration of compilation (USE).

When i make an install on a machine which cpu is the same that the one used for compiling packages on the binhost and that USE flags i need is similar to the one used for compiling, it is really fast to get a good optimised system running, much faster than emerging system and apps alone.

About advantages of portages, there are many other, it's much simpler to make an ebuild than to make a deb or rpm. You can apply patches very easely with ebuilds and make security patched system running, use differrent compiling profiles for differrent systems.

You can join the binhost if you want to have a backup of your packages and configuration file.
I am testing an amd64 set of packages i made easely, getting xfce, apache, php, mysql, open office running optimised in a couple of hours.
Better users of gentoo can take advantages of this with extra security.

PS : I still need to clarify quality of sources and compilation, precise using binhosts is at your own risk etc ... and provide sources of binaries to respect GPL license, however, what do you think of the usage of punbb on this site please ?

PunsCMS : Make PunBB to be a serious Blog or CMS.
PunsCMS : Unleash Pun's CMS Power

Ok, thanks for explaining.

As I said above, many of the links do not work (including many in the top navigation, the recent topics, and the active topics). Also, IMO the footer is too large and busy, and the text it contains is too difficult to read.

Otherwise, very nice work!

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.