Topic: New to PunBB: what should I be watching out for?

My main concerns are:

1. What is the ease of dealing with spam in this system?

2. What is the history of "oh, brother" type vulnerabilites?  I mention this particularly because I'm fed up with PhpBB and will never use it again, as the BS level is intolerable.

3. Are there any really bad quirks compared to other systems that I might be missing?

As I've scanned through various FOSS options for a BB, this is one of the few that gives me some hope.  Jump in here and close the sale.

Re: New to PunBB: what should I be watching out for?

1. I advise you to install the Aksimet mod.
2. None
3. Not really

On these, nothing more to add, elbekko covered it quite well.

One thing thought : don't over-mod your PunBB 1.2.x install, since 1.3 is coming along (might be weeks or month, but still) and it will be a major change (for the best, 1.3 has almost everything we might want on it, and still is light and fast).

4 (edited by MadHatter 2007-03-05 21:31)

punbb's official distro is intentionally small.  it doesn't include a lot of features that other boards do (PM system, mass mailers, and so on), and once you take a look under the hood you'll see why. 

One of the nicest (IMO) things about it is that for the longest time there was only one developer who was very consistent about how the forum is written.  Its clean, and coherent.

His philosophy for the boards is to keep it a simple forum system.  there are so many moving parts on most other forum system that it gets easy to break something (I have a phpbb forum that has been broken for like 3 years because of a patch I applied, and I have been too lazy to try to find where its broken & fix it because its such an arduous task).  since punbb is pretty much free of that, there are less things to break (even with a heavily modded board).

So, pretty much, PunBB is built around a plugin framework.  No orphaned code, no functions you never use but can't disable.  If something's running, it's my fault for adding it.

Indeed.