Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

hcgtv wrote:

I just don't know at this point which plugins will become official extensions.

Polls, please.

27 (edited by spytrdr 2007-03-13 04:56)

I hope the changes in 1.3 are under the hood only but the general look & feel of the board remains exactly the same. As elegant and neat as it is right now.
From the screenshots of 1.3 I've seen that doesn't seem to be the case and it's looking slightly uglier.

Another suggestion: When one clicks on someone's profile, all their recent posts should be shown immediately, without having to click again on "Show all posts". In short, make profiles more interesting. That's the way it was in Silicon Investor.

spytrdr wrote:

I hope the changes in 1.3 are under the hood only but the general look & feel of the board remains exactly the same. As elegant and neat as it is right now.
From the screenshots of 1.3 I've seen that doesn't seem to be the case and it's looking slightly uglier.

I disagree. I definitely prefer the current look and feel of 1.3 over 1.2. Having worked with 1.3 a lot, I just think 1.2 looks dated.

spytrdr wrote:

Another suggestion: When one clicks on someone's profile, all their recent posts should be shown immediately, without having to click again on "Show all posts". In short, make profiles more interesting. That's the way it was in Silicon Investor.

But if clicking on someone's profile takes you to the search results, how would you get to the actual profile?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:
spytrdr wrote:

I disagree. I definitely prefer the current look and feel of 1.3 over 1.2. Having worked with 1.3 a lot, I just think 1.2 looks dated.

I agree with Rickard: what do you think looks ugly about it spytrdr?

Rickard wrote:
spytrdr wrote:

I disagree. I definitely prefer the current look and feel of 1.3 over 1.2. Having worked with 1.3 a lot, I just think 1.2

Its amazing just how quickly you get used to a new look and find the old one dated, the 1.1.x to 1.2.x jump had the same effect on me

I have to say, my first impression was in spytrdr's line. I use the sulfur theme on every default PunBB I read, and I think it's more modern than the alpha 1.3 one in several aspect. The first I saw the 1.3 one, my thought was: "this look like smf/phorum/x/y/z, in a nutshell every other small forum software out there".

But to be honest I'm not a big fan of blue, and the 1.3 light blue on top of the page makes me want to puke; so it may be just me.

I think Oxygen in 1.3 looks better than Oxygen in 1.2. But if you don't like a blue and white look, then you don't like a blue and white look.

They've started with oxygen, but will provide the other standard styles still... they'll just be modified to the new markup and look.

And I like the new look really, it gives a more modern feel to PunBB.

I would like 1.3 to look exactly like this BY DEFAULT, out of the box:
http://forum.textdrive.com

It's the theme/style I use right now, so neat and elegant.

guardian34 wrote:

I think Oxygen in 1.3 looks better than Oxygen in 1.2. But if you don't like a blue and white look, then you don't like a blue and white look.

Indeed: I think that's the main issue.
Obviously Oxygen doesn't please everyone, but there isn't just going to be Oxygen with 1.3 wink

spytrdr wrote:

I would like 1.3 to look exactly like this BY DEFAULT, out of the box:
http://forum.textdrive.com

It's the theme/style I use right now, so neat and elegant.

Mmm, personally I think that style is a bit bland tongue

36 (edited by spytrdr 2007-03-15 21:28)

Rickard wrote:
spytrdr wrote:

But if clicking on someone's profile takes you to the search results, how would you get to the actual profile?

Example:

If I click on Rickard, I want to see this:
http://punbb.org/forums/profile.php?id=2

AND ALSO THIS (COMBINED, in the same profile page, without having to do a second click on "show all posts")
http://punbb.org/forums/search.php?acti … ;user_id=2

And maybe also the poster's pic, if he/she wants to show one. Or a place to add a (longer) comment, quote or something that may give a better idea of who the person is.
That would make profiles much more interesting and meaningful without adding any clutter, imho.

spytrdr wrote:
Rickard wrote:
spytrdr wrote:

Example:

If I click on Rickard, I want to see this:
http://punbb.org/forums/profile.php?id=2

AND ALSO THIS (COMBINED, in the same profile page, without having to do a second click on "show all posts")
http://punbb.org/forums/search.php?acti … ;user_id=2

And maybe also the poster's pic, if he/she wants to show one. Or a place to add a (longer) comment, quote or something that may give a better idea of who the person is.
That would make profiles much more interesting and meaningful without adding any clutter, imho.

That sounds like a perfect candidate for an extension smile

38 (edited by spytrdr 2007-03-23 09:02)

Another cool and practical thing in Silicon Investor was that one could add interesting users as "peoplemarks". It doesn't mean friends, but people who have interesting things to say or are knowledgeable about -say- punBB, so I want to keep an eye on them, otherwise if I enter here a month from now I won't even remember what their nicks were.
So when I go to my OWN PROFILE here, I'd like to be able to see, at first glance, not just all my recent posts and my "subscribed topics" ("subjectmarks" were called in Silicon, meaning threads of interest), but also my "peoplemarks" (e.g. Smartys, Sirena, Rickard, etc), so I can quickly see if they've written something interesting today, and where. On large forums it's much easier and practical to follow people -that over time we've learned to appreciate and trust- instead of endless topics/threads. If there is a way to add peoplemarks right now I haven't found it. I keep mentioning Silicon Investor, because, in its heyday, it was such a cool, well designed, practical forum that facilitated so much the interesting and intelligent discussion that took place there. The threads (topics) there had thousands of pages. It was a huge and very active forum, but one could quickly see where the people one cared about were hanging out that day and skip the rest. There was also a list of "Hot topics", that was very useful.
It's a good place to draw inspiration from: http://www.siliconinvestor.com .
In a word, make profiles in general more interesting, and also make our OWN profiles more USEFUL:
1) peoplemarks please! (essential feature);
2) all our subjectmarks/subscribed topics right there;
3) all our recent posts, present, past, and since day 1.
Everything immediately displayed, at first glance, without further clicks.

Like I said, sounds like a cool extension smile