Re: PunCMS

hcgtv wrote:

As for a Blog not being a CMS, I beg to differ, I can make Nucleus look like anything I want.

Didn't mean to offend you or what you did with nucleus.
I like the looks and the functionality, and maybe it can do what I want, it's just not obvious to me.
I do not want a system where anybody can post, just something that makes it easier for me building a complete, and maybe even complex, website.
With file management, a gallery (only available to the authors to chose images for their articles) and different layout schemes for different purposes.
I could not find these features mentioned in the nucleus or on your site but of course that doesn't mean a thing. smile

hcgtv wrote:

A CMS or Blog is made to post stories on your front page

A content management system is surely a lot more than that.
Full blown CMS systems like Typo3 even integrate print and web content, have version control, let you chose different layouts for different parts of your website, build menus of any level depth and so on...
The least you can say is that a real CMS is for building a complete website and has the ability to show anything you like in the style that you like.

hcgtv wrote:

Rather than make Pun a CMS or a CMS into a forum, it's better to use the right tool for the job.

I totally agree with you that it's no good turning one into the other.
What Connor seemed to work on was to make a CMS that can integrate PunBB and that would take the engine, CSS, caching - well, all the great things of punBB. If I got him right.
And I am just interested if this can/has/should be done or if I have to go on searching or build something myself. wink

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

well my idea was to use the user system, styles, caching, and ideas of punbb to make a cms, basically just exand punbb to allow support for a module and block system (it shouldn't be that much bigger than punbb itself in its basic form, the time working on it is not writing loads of code but working out the best way to do things), but i mean don't expect anything soon lol i've got so many punbb projects to do its crazy

Tobi,

a) No offense taken. I'm the only one adding content to my site, users sign up on the forum to leave comments. Each of the sections on hcgtv are independednt blogs, each one can have a different skin associated with it. I use each blog differently, the front page blog displays only one story, a song lyric. The blog I'm on determines what gets placed on the side menu. There is a media manager that I use to upload images and include them in my stories.

b) Typo3 is a real CMS, with it comes quite a lot of complexity and the learning curve is huge. I just wanted an easy way to posts stories and not bring my server to it's knees when the traffic started to soar. I like light apps, that's why I chose Nucleus and PunBB. The best way to determine light apps is to view the amount of SQL queries used to create a simple front page.

c) Rather than build something yourself, I recommend starting off with something and tailor it to your needs. Why re-invent the wheel?

129 (edited by Tobi 2005-07-16 18:04)

ConnorHd:
That's what I thought you were about.
So my idea was to take that and expand it to fit my needs.
On the other hand I understand you have better things to do so maybe I'll start something myself but then again

Connorhd wrote:

the time working on it is not writing loads of code but working out the best way to do things

this is exactly the problem I came across as well smile

Well, hcgtv is still absolutely right.. maybe it's best just not to mix these two together at all....

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

hcgtv wrote:

a) No offense taken. I'm the only one adding content to my site, users sign up on the forum to leave comments. Each of the sections on hcgtv are independednt blogs, each one can have a different skin associated with it. I use each blog differently, the front page blog displays only one story, a song lyric. The blog I'm on determines what gets placed on the side menu. There is a media manager that I use to upload images and include them in my stories.

Sounds indeed a lot like what I want...

hcgtv wrote:

b) Typo3 is a real CMS, with it comes quite a lot of complexity and the learning curve is huge. I just wanted an easy way to posts stories and not bring my server to it's knees when the traffic started to soar. I like light apps, that's why I chose Nucleus and PunBB. The best way to determine light apps is to view the amount of SQL queries used to create a simple front page.

100% ACK smile

hcgtv wrote:

c) Rather than build something yourself, I recommend starting off with something and tailor it to your needs. Why re-invent the wheel?

another 100% ACK smile
It's just that in the past I often ended up writing apps myself because I found it easier to code from scratch than dive into mountains of poorly written documentation and try to make sense of them. I suppose you know what I mean...
However, nucleus/nupusi definitely look easy enough to give them a try.
Does your latest build include PunBB 1.2.6?

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Tobi wrote:

However, nucleus/nupusi definitely look easy enough to give them a try.
Does your latest build include PunBB 1.2.6?

No, I plan on zipping up a new release next week with PunBB 1.2.6 and DokuWiki 2005-07-13.

I was trying to finish off the gallery template before I released a new version, wanted the core apps to have a similar look and feel.

Keep in mind that my packaging does not deviate from the core apps, so you can dowload Nucleus, PunBB and grab the PunBB plugin from the NuPusi downloads section.

132 (edited by Tobi 2005-07-16 19:14)

That would work exactly the same way?

Fine. Even better 'cause I don't think I'll need the dokuWiki...

But where do I find the plugin?
Searched for it but.... sad

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

NUCLEUS IS PERFECT !!! smile

the only things is to have a better integration (not only design and link to the forum)

smile

Tobi wrote:

But where do I find the plugin?
Searched for it but.... sad

Here, get NP_PunBB-1.3.zip: http://nupusi.net/downloads/index.php?p … 2Fnucleus/

NuPusi is just the core apps with the extra stuff taken out of them, like docs or upgrade scripts, etc. What I don't plan on doing is messing with the core code, this lets the projects progress on their own and all I have to worry about are the plugins and skins that glue them together.

NuPusi is not a fork of any of the projects, it's just a repackaging with extra skins, plugins and unified docs.

This would be EXACTLY what I am looking for. I love PunBB, and thought about how I would make a cms like this and make the user choose if they want to include Punbb or not. My biggest selling points on this software were:

1. Compliance

2. Tight coding, lightweight

3. The Syntax Highlighter mod

Now if you made a CMS to go along with this, I would jump for joy. In fact, would you like some help? Because my friends and I were so tired of having to compromise with other systems that did not have compliance, messy code, slow lumbering giants (Mambo and Typo3 come to mind) and restrictions on how pages are laid out. CSS would fix that problem... too bad many do not do that.

In fact, I did not know something like this was in the works, and I will for sure tell my friends what's cooking. We might dump our project and help you with this one. It's exciting news.

GET ON THE TELEPHONE!!

well, if i get round to coding the basic system for managing the blocks, modules, users and themes then anyone will be able to contribute by developing blocks, modules etc

Think about a "import tool" to migrate smile

This thread has split in two directions and I apologize for this.

albn, if your reply was to my previous post, we do have a highlighter plugin for Nucleus. We took the Geshi code highlighter and wrapped a plugin around it, see it in action here: http://faq.nucleuscms.org/item/34

hcgtv wrote:

This thread has split in two directions and I apologize for this.

albn, if your reply was to my previous post, we do have a highlighter plugin for Nucleus. We took the Geshi code highlighter and wrapped a plugin around it, see it in action here: http://faq.nucleuscms.org/item/34

Yes, I have it installed, and that wasx one of the selling points for me. It is a great mod, and is very helpful. If that were included as part of the CMS, hey that would be awesome.

GET ON THE TELEPHONE!!

albn wrote:

Yes, I have it installed, and that wasx one of the selling points for me. It is a great mod, and is very helpful. If that were included as part of the CMS, hey that would be awesome.

The way Nucleus is built, the core is and will always remain lean and mean. When Wouter designed the system, he had the foresight to build in a very extensive plugin system.

So plugins would never become part of the core system but could be packaged up as pre-built systems by anyone and that's what I've been doing with my own project.

As for the plugin, I plan on updating it with GeSHi 1.0.7 when I get the chance. The current plugin uses version 1.0.2 of GeSHi.

PunCMS - did it ever get done...?
I need it so badly smile

phatax wrote:

PunCMS - did it ever get done...?
I need it so badly smile

No. There is, however, a custom pages mod and a portal mod created by Connorhd. There are also more ambitious projects such as PunBB Frontpage and Puntal - neither is really a full-fledged CMS, but they're almost like CMSs.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

143 (edited by jamespic 2006-12-09 12:37)

PunsCMS is out, it allows making a blog or a CMS (front page differs) from your Puntal and PunBB installations, doesn't affect database structure nor PunBB files in PunBB installation directory.
More information : PunsCMS
3.1 release is a matter of hours (integrates PunBB admin panel into Puntal, by patching and copying the admin files into a random named folder wich name is stored in database).
Please give me feedback about  PunsCMS.
A full  PunsCMS package (with credits where it is due of course) will be avalaible when Puntal 2 reaches stable.

PunsCMS : Make PunBB to be a serious Blog or CMS.
PunsCMS : Unleash Pun's CMS Power

im copy to puntal modul's dir
after from puntal's "Manage modules" click on install button... but... after somethink (script do somethink) - "install button" as install (not change to uninstall) and module not installing

and no errors writing - clear

help plz

p.s. im adding that modul in offline host on local - nothink problems with permission rights. not here problem.

145 (edited by jamespic 2007-03-22 17:57)

vvik, please read this and reformulate your question.
Also, please use punscms forum at puncms

PunsCMS : Make PunBB to be a serious Blog or CMS.
PunsCMS : Unleash Pun's CMS Power

You should do this for sure (one thing, an option for the pagination so that you can switch if the most recent content item is the last in a serious or first, but still always the main page)

one idea is how snews does there stuff ...

simple place tags where you want the stuff to show up.. kind of how the main.tpl is now.

cons: u will have to redo the css for the forum to match the site.

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!