Topic: 1.1.2 or not?

As you can see in the changelog, a few bugs have popped up in 1.1.1, but they aren't all that serious. Do you think I should release 1.1.2 or should I wait a while?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: 1.1.2 or not?

Not sure, but one thing does bug me..

I've just upgraded from 1.0.1 to 1.1, then immediately 1.1 to 1.1.1
Then I installed Frank's Attachment.mod

When u do next upgrade would some of the files overwrite stuff that the mod changed?

I know mods are installed at your own risk, etc. etc. but just wondered

regards
JohnS

I've been down so long it's beginning to look like up..

JohnS wrote:

When u do next upgrade would some of the files overwrite stuff that the mod changed?

Yes, they do. That's the problem with too much updates...

Chacmool wrote:
JohnS wrote:

Yes, they do. That's the problem with too much updates...

But surely some of these mods are a definite plus to punbb. Why aren't they incorporated into the next version?

hmm... it's a tricky issue, sure everyone wants to have a bugfree BB, but also, if there are too many updates, people will get tired of that.

When looking at the things in the changelogs, I guess that there are only one problem that an be critical for using the forum ... and that's the 2004-01-24 thing, where people have trouble installing (IIRC)...

Actually, I don't know... I'd probably wait alittle while longer, as it was only yesterday the IMHO most critical bug was found...

The 2004-01-24 isn't serious at all. The only effect of that bug is that the forum will say that the last visit was "1970 00:00" or something the first time the first user logs in. It doesn't affect regular users that register with register.php after that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

JohnS wrote:

But surely some of these mods are a definite plus to punbb. Why aren't they incorporated into the next version?

Because some of us are using PunBB specifically because it doesn't have a bloated feature set. If PunBB came with Polls, Private Messaging and various other bits and bobs time would have to be spend ripping them back out. There are of course mods which simply improve the functionality of existing features which could be incorporated.

8 (edited by Paul 2004-01-25 19:59)

Rickard wrote:

As you can see in the changelog, a few bugs have popped up in 1.1.1, but they aren't all that serious. Do you think I should release 1.1.2 or should I wait a while?

Would it do any harm to publish the code for some of the easier fixes so the technically minded could do their own fixing? After all, I am sure some of the bugfixes are a lot simpler to do than, for example, installing a large mod.

Paul wrote:
Rickard wrote:

Would it do any harm to publish the code for some of the easier fixes so the technically minded could do their own fixing? After all, I am sure some of the bugfixes are a lot simpler to do than, for example, installing a large mod.

I agree. That way it may mean our mods stay intact

Yes, I will.

Rickard wrote:

Yes, I will.

When?

with this talk of overwritting mods, why dont punBB wait off, and add some of these mods such as Polls/Attachments into a completely new 1.2 release? Or possibly these large changes would give it reason to go to version 2?

Primary Laptop 12.1" iBook - 800MHz G4 w/ 256k L2 Cache - 640 DDR266 Ram - 40GB HD - Combo Drive - BlueTooth - OS X (Panther

thekore wrote:

with this talk of overwritting mods, why dont punBB wait off, and add some of these mods such as Polls/Attachments into a completely new 1.2 release? Or possibly these large changes would give it reason to go to version 2?

Read this post and you'll understand why that probably won't happen.

14 (edited by Paul 2004-02-09 19:48)

thekore wrote:

Some of us neither need nor want the features provided by mods which in partly why we are using PunBB is the first place.

As a few more bugs have surfaced since I first posted this topic, I will most likely release PunBB 1.1.2 tomorrow. There are no database changes and most (if not all) changes in the scripts are "one-liners".

Rickard wrote:

I will most likely release PunBB 1.1.2 tomorrow.

Eagerly awaits tomorrow! *grin*

Louis wrote:
Rickard wrote:

I will most likely release PunBB 1.1.2 tomorrow.

Eagerly awaits tomorrow! *grin*

I'm not ;P

There should be an easier way to patch punbb, maybe using CVS or something...

and i just installed 1.1.1 roll

Rickard wrote:

There are no database changes and most (if not all) changes in the scripts are "one-liners".

phew, sounds good, I need to fix my attachment mod due to the small security issue, so that was good timing ... lol wink

Chacmool wrote:

There should be an easier way to patch punbb, maybe using CVS or something...

I'm considering that one myself. I'm working out the idea for a general PunBB mod tool. It might have that feature, but everything's still preliminary. Please post your ideas here.

I'll wait until tomorrow. I've been working on different ways to release it. I will probably have a full package, a packade of changed files and a diff file (to use with patch).