Topic: Time change isnt showing on posts

What do i do to make the time stamp display correctly for everyone? Thanks!

Re: Time change isnt showing on posts

What time change?

US has two time changes per year where we move the clocks forward or back. In this case the correct time is moved forward 1 hour. So when I use the CST time zone it was showing 10AM as the time on my posts when it is really 11AM.

A better question is where does the board draw its time from? The server?

I thought Daylight Saving was already implemented. Or maybe that's in 1.3.

Im pretty sure it self updated last time. I didnt do anything to it. Just wondering where I should go from here.

7 (edited by guardian34 2007-03-11 17:40)

[Test]

Edit: Yeah, I'm an hour off here as is.

Edit: Just FYI: I have a PunBB install on a server that also runs a vBulletin install, and that vBulletin has the right time.

guardian34 wrote:

[Test]

Edit: Yeah, I'm an hour off here as is.

Oh good call I wasnt even looking here. Im off an hour also.

TFD wrote:

US has two time changes per year where we move the clocks forward or back. In this case the correct time is moved forward 1 hour. So when I use the CST time zone it was showing 10AM as the time on my posts when it is really 11AM.

Yes, I'm aware: I live in the US tongue
Even if I didn't, a lot of countries have similar systems.

elbekko wrote:

In 1.3 there is a box for users to check. If the box is checked, time is moved an hour ahead. If not, it's just the normal timezone offset.

Now then, it seems like an explanation of 1.2's date/time system and 1.3's date/time system is in order smile

1.2:
You have a setting called server timezone. Basically, you find your server's GMT offset and set it: that way, all times for users should start out at GMT.
Each user has an individual time setting. That would be the user's offset from GMT. During DST, the user has to change their offset by one hour (since that is what DST is).
So, if my server's local time is GMT -8, you set GMT -8 as the server timezone. If I live on the East Coast (GMT -5) I set GMT -5. During DST, I move that to GMT -4 (GMT doesn't have DST).

1.3:
PHP functions are used to get time from the server at GMT. Therefore, server timezone disappears and is replaced by a new option, which is the default timezone for guests.
Each user still has their time setting, but they can check a box when DST happens for them which will act as if they had modified their offset.
So, if my server's local time is GMT -8 but I want guests to have GMT -5, I set the default timezone to GMT -5. As a user, I check/uncheck a box to deal with DST

Does that clear things up? Or did I just confuse people more? wink

Edit: Just to summarize, since there really isn't a good way (at least that I know of) to automatically detect DST given a certain timezone (since different countries, etc have different rules), PunBB relies on the user to change it themselves.

Gotcha. thanks for the explanation smile

I was thinking it changed in the fall by itself. Am I wrong?

TFD wrote:

I was thinking it changed in the fall by itself. Am I wrong?

PunBB does not do anything related to DST wink

this entire DST crap that GWB invoked is completely stupid and messed a lot of things up.

~thegleek

thegleek wrote:

this entire DST crap that GWB invoked is completely stupid and messed a lot of things up.

There are some advantages to it:

Thanks to passage of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Daylight Saving Time will begin one month earlier in 2007 and will continue for an extra week. It's part of a phased move designed to conserve electricity and save an estimated 300,000 barrels of oil a year.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurst wrote:
thegleek wrote:

There are some advantages to it:

Thanks to passage of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, Daylight Saving Time will begin one month earlier in 2007 and will continue for an extra week. It's part of a phased move designed to conserve electricity and save an estimated 300,000 barrels of oil a year.

The actual effect is in dispute: Wikipedia cites http://www.ucei.berkeley.edu/PDF/csemwp163.pdf as an example of the opinion that it won't help wink

I don't see what's wrong with it =/ What's so hard about changing your clock?

Fine Smartys, "there are some possible advantages to it". big_smile

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

18 (edited by johncozzy 2007-04-22 13:34)

Smartys wrote:
elbekko wrote:

In 1.3 there is a box for users to check. If the box is checked, time is moved an hour ahead. If not, it's just the normal timezone offset.

forgive me for being dense, but can someone point out where the DST checkbox is? i've looked in the profile area, and all around, and i can't find it. i've also grepped through the code, but turned up nil.

my box is set to GMT as is `Server timezone' in the Options area of the Administration panel. but for users who live an an area with DST, apparently, their posts appear an hour off. this appears to have been beaten to death here, but i can't seem to figure this out. if i could find that damn DST checkbox...

sorry again for being dense, but a whack with a cluestick right now would be helpful.

oh, and i just upgraded to 1.2.15 if it makes any difference...

There is a box in 1.3 wink

Smartys wrote:

There is a box in 1.3 wink

oh, gawd. duh. thanks, and sorry for being dense smile

That's alright smile