Topic: Chatbox questions.

1) Is there a way to delete/edit the posts in your chat box??
2) Is there a way to let the chatbox posts add to the users regular post count.
3) Is there a way to let the chatbox posts go from top (new messages) bottom (older messages) (reverse from what it is now)

^^ my chat box questions..

I know all are possible ... but I have no clue what to edit =/

all help is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

-Geoff

Re: Chatbox questions.

Moved to Modifications
1. I think you would have to write seperate files for this
2. I think it keeps a seperate count now: if it does, you could just modify the query to increment the regular count as well
3. Changing the way the Javascript outputs the text is the easiest way I think

GeoffG wrote:

-Geoff

well, you can edit the chatbox_msg table in your database to prune the entries. refreshing the browsers, though, is another matter. or am i not understanding the question?

Smartys wrote:

Moved to Modifications
1. I think you would have to write seperate files for this
2. I think it keeps a seperate count now: if it does, you could just modify the query to increment the regular count as well
3. Changing the way the Javascript outputs the text is the easiest way I think

Now if I only knew how to do all that sad

johncozzy wrote:
GeoffG wrote:

-Geoff

well, you can edit the chatbox_msg table in your database to prune the entries. refreshing the browsers, though, is another matter. or am i not understanding the question?

Well... I meant how to edit the chatbox posts like you would normally do on a forum. (delete, etc...)

^^ which is also why I asked if I could somehow make it add to the post count ... and then possible create a seperate forum for the chatbox where all the messages would be stored O_O <---- is that possible????

thanks again.

I would really like to know how to edit/delete posts in the chatbox... because alot of people are posting inappropriate things there ... and some sort of moderation for the chatbox would be great ....

any help??

GeoffG wrote:

I would really like to know how to edit/delete posts in the chatbox... because alot of people are posting inappropriate things there ... and some sort of moderation for the chatbox would be great ....

any help??

i'm still somewhat new to all of this, so i could be off. i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm totally wrong... but i don't think you can do what you describe. you might be able to modify some of the php to do it, assuming you want to dig into that much.

the chatbox mods just stuff chat entries into a database, and show some configurable number of messages in the window. so as i mentioned before... you can delete the entries from the actual database, but making sure the browsers can be refreshed to show the reduced amount of messages is another matter.

if people are abusing your chatbox, then maybe keep chats disabled unless you are hosting an official chat. i'm thinking of doing the same thing on my ChatBox---not because people are abusing it, but because conversations are disjointed if left open all the time...

hth,
--john

how would I go about deleting from the database? sad

GeoffG wrote:

how would I go about deleting from the database? sad

what database are you using? your best bet is to use the documentation to learn how to do it. in MySQL, i might use something like DELETE from chatbox_msg where id = ##; but this of course depends on if i'm using command line or a GUI manglement tool.

but you should definitely be very familiar with your database before messing around with it.