Topic: linux equivalent to a single file .exe?

is there such a thing? if so is there a converter that convert from win/exe to *nix/version.

same thing for mac if possible.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Re: linux equivalent to a single file .exe?

To convert a M$ programme to *nix? If so, no.

.bin files behave somewhat like .exe files.

You can also run some .exe files through Wine, and Mono compiles C# programs as .exe files and runs them.

I'd be interested to know exactly what you're hoping to do.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

WINE is a completely different thing, though. big_smile That's merely emulation under which the programmes can run. Must admit, I'm curious about the question too. big_smile

MattF wrote:

WINE is a completely different thing, though. big_smile That's merely emulation under which the programmes can run. Must admit, I'm curious about the question too. big_smile

You could get into some serious flame wars calling what Wine does emulation. tongue

Anyway, I know it doesn't convert anything; I just mentioned it because I'm not sure what he's doing.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

6 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-05-25 00:32)

it's a self contained video w/ player all in one .exe file exported from a vid cap program called BB FlashBack. VERY tiny file for what it outputs in quality. but i'm looking for cross platform compatability which i'm sure the .exe file is not. it's to do with my PunBB video tutorial project.

when i get a response from Rickard i'll be posting them up for use here shortly. just need his blessing on the content. if anyone is interested in giving a conversion a try i'll be happy to send you a link.

drjeckyl723@gmail.com

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Publish to Flash, AVI, WMV, EXE and PowerPoint.

Your best bets for cross-platform use will probably be Flash or AVI.

pogenwurst wrote:

You could get into some serious flame wars calling what Wine does emulation. tongue

big_smile big_smile But it's quicker to say emulation than writing the page or two's worth of text that they use to explain it. big_smile big_smile

MattF wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

big_smile big_smile But it's quicker to say emulation than writing the page or two's worth of text that they use to explain it. big_smile big_smile

Ha! Good point tongue

pogenwurst wrote:

yeah i kinda figured that. i was hoping that it was possible because of the clarity the exe offers. i'll experiment with the avi and flash settings.

thanks guys, carry on. wink

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

11 (edited by mindlessoath 2007-05-25 13:40)

because youtube handels all the files you dont have to wory much about bandwidth, upload it there and stream the content using the bbcodes. if people want to download that content they can do that with 3rd party scripts just link them to one of those webpages with the scripts to download it from youtube.

less bandwidth and server load.

anyways, linux uses' differnt libraries, so unless you use wine to emulate it, its not going to work. javascript i belive is cross compatible, but i dont know if they have a vid compression/playback tool.
your better off going with something else.

there might be a player on nix that will play exe video files, but then you would need the codecs for it.  see if gxin or mplayer have a codec to play them, or if bbflashback has any linux help (email them, check the forums etc).

it seems like, from the examples at the bbflashback website that exe is the larger of the 4 file types. flash is probably the best bet because it looks the smallest size.
this site here http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/04 … onverters/
http://media-convert.com/ <--convert any media to any type of media
http://vixy.net/ <--download and convert vids from youtube, etc.

lists abuncha converters from css to html, to avi to flv to whatever.  hope that helps.

12 (edited by eric235u 2007-05-25 15:52)

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

yeah i kinda figured that. i was hoping that it was possible because of the clarity the exe offers. i'll experiment with the avi and flash settings.

thanks guys, carry on. ;)

as a free software user i totally despise flash.  i don't even have flash installed on my home computer.  avi would be okay.  ogg theora is better!  if you are unable to convert it you can just email me a link and i'll trascode it for you and post it as a torrent.  just a thought.

http://www.theora.org/

13 (edited by eric235u 2007-05-25 16:09)

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

it's a self contained video w/ player all in one .exe file exported from a vid cap program called BB FlashBack. VERY tiny file for what it outputs in quality. but i'm looking for cross platform compatability which i'm sure the .exe file is not. it's to do with my PunBB video tutorial project.

when i get a response from Rickard i'll be posting them up for use here shortly. just need his blessing on the content. if anyone is interested in giving a conversion a try i'll be happy to send you a link.

drjeckyl723@gmail.com

are u saying this app exports a .exe ?

if i were a windos user, which i'm not, i think the last thing i would want to do is have to click on a .exe file from a source i don't absolutely believe is trustworthy.

my $0.02

eric235u wrote:

as a free software user i totally despise flash.  i don't even have flash installed on my home computer.

Personally I don't mind having closed-source apps like Flash mixed in with my OSS system, but I understand that some do. I wonder if the Flash output of this program is compatible with Gnash or Swfdec.

15 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-05-25 17:30)

@MO: YouTube is out of the question. their quality is horrible for what i want these to accomplish. there is no way around it. i'll investigate those links though.

@eric: i understand the concern an exe would spur however i personally have been using BB FlashBack for quite some time and trust it completely. the quality it(exe) outputs plus the small file size is unmatched so far in my testing i've done. i'm most likely going with flash since it's the most compatible. although i guess i could just do it ALL and provide links for each one. big_smile

i appreciate the input none-the-less guys. wink

just an example of the quality vs filesize that BB FlashBack's exe export outputs:

a 2m45s video shot at 1600x1200 full color, 30fps, in a self contained exe is only 1.7m.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

These links may be absolutely no use whatsoever to you, but here's a nice flash player for web based situations.

http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_Video_Player
http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_Media_Player

Not sure if this may be of any help on the conversion front.

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/

that player in the first link may come in handy. thanks. big_smile

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

pogenwurst wrote:
eric235u wrote:

as a free software user i totally despise flash.  i don't even have flash installed on my home computer.

Personally I don't mind having closed-source apps like Flash mixed in with my OSS system, but I understand that some do. I wonder if the Flash output of this program is compatible with Gnash or Swfdec.

well to be completely honest i do have a couple of evil codecs on my my linux box.  so my system isn't completely pure, though it's close.  nevertheless, it would seem befitting a f/oss project to utilize free media.  but many folks do go the way of flash and i realize i'm in a minority.

i tried gnash a while back and had no luck but it may be better now.  i'll look into it.  thanks.

Dr.Jeckyl, it's very cool you're making some tutorials for punbb!  good luck in your effort.  i look forward to checking it out.