Re: I can't upload any avatars in my site

I just closed it 5 min. hmm

So cannot I still upload avatar? sad

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

What?

Meowmeow wrote:
Frank H wrote:

disable avatars until the host answers?

I've tried, there's still the problem.

You need to disable it in admin->options=="Use avatars" to "No", not in your profile

Frank H wrote:

You need to disable it in admin->options=="Use avatars" to "No", not in your profile

I disabled it in Admin, not my profile OK? Why do you all think it's my problem?

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

OK, the problem has been solved. It's due to PHP's "Safe Mode". My friend called the host yesterday, and they disabled "Safe Mode" just now. I can upload now.

Meowmeow wrote:
Frank H wrote:

I disabled it in Admin, not my profile OK? Why do you all think it's my problem?

You said you disabled uploading avatars but still got the error, Frank was simply making sure you actually disabled avatars so people would get the correct error (That avatars were disabled).

Meowmeow wrote:

OK, the problem has been solved. It's due to PHP's "Safe Mode". My friend called the host yesterday, and they disabled "Safe Mode" just now. I can upload now.

Yes, that's what we've been saying, open_basedir is a part of PHP's safe mode settings tongue

The real mystery here is how the hell her phpbb installation supported avatar uploads smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

58 (edited by Smartys 2006-09-24 21:50)

I'm curious, but not curious enough to dig through the code tongue

Edit: I did find this though

2.5.2: Safe Mode

phpBB 2.0 RC-4 introduced support for uploadable avatars on systems running PHP in safe mode. If this applies to your hosting service, you will need to create a sub-directory called tmp in the directory you specified for storage of uploaded avatars (by default this is images/avatars as explained above). Give it the same access rights as for uploadable avatars above. This safe mode support includes compatibility with various directory restrictions that your host may impose (assuming they are not too restrictive and that the PHP installed is version 4.0.3 or later). There is generally no need for any manual setup for safe mode support because it is typically handled transparently (although PHP 3 users may run into difficulties).

I'll see what I can determine tongue

Edit2: Unless I'm reading wrong, I think they don't really get around the issue. What they have you do is upload the avatar elsewhere and then give the forum the URL. The forum then downloads the file to its own tmp folder and checks it before making it an avatar. There's no magic tongue

So has there been any updates or changes based on this thread?  I'm new to Pun and have encountered the same issues.  Has anyone written a mod or a quick update to allow users to specify the TMP location? 

Also for clarification my issues is NOT related the permissions on the img/avatar directories and it is NOT related to php safe mode (which is off).  So based on what I've read from everyone else, this is related to the default tmp directory PHP uses.  If I can't get my host to change the permission on that directory, I'll not be able to use avatars.  Kind of sad... sad

So I'd love to find a work-around since it seems as if many people have experienced similar issues.

Thanks.
-dt

Dr.Twister wrote:

So has there been any updates or changes based on this thread?  I'm new to Pun and have encountered the same issues.  Has anyone written a mod or a quick update to allow users to specify the TMP location? 

Also for clarification my issues is NOT related the permissions on the img/avatar directories and it is NOT related to php safe mode (which is off).  So based on what I've read from everyone else, this is related to the default tmp directory PHP uses.  If I can't get my host to change the permission on that directory, I'll not be able to use avatars.  Kind of sad... sad

So I'd love to find a work-around since it seems as if many people have experienced similar issues.

Thanks.
-dt

It actually hasn't been that big of an issue. I'll look into it again though
Edit: It looks like upload_tmp_dir can't be specified with .htaccess or ini_set

OK, try this
FIND

if (!@move_uploaded_file($uploaded_file['tmp_name'], $pun_config['o_avatars_dir'].'/'.$id.'.tmp'))

REPLACE WITH

if (!@copy($uploaded_file['tmp_name'], $pun_config['o_avatars_dir'].'/'.$id.'.tmp'))

And if that doesn't work, do the following:
FIND

if (!@copy($uploaded_file['tmp_name'], $pun_config['o_avatars_dir'].'/'.$id.'.tmp'))

REPLACE WITH

if (!copy($uploaded_file['tmp_name'], $pun_config['o_avatars_dir'].'/'.$id.'.tmp'))

Paste me the errors you get
FIND

if (!copy($uploaded_file['tmp_name'], $pun_config['o_avatars_dir'].'/'.$id.'.tmp'))

REPLACE WITH

if (!move_uploaded_file($uploaded_file['tmp_name'], $pun_config['o_avatars_dir'].'/'.$id.'.tmp'))

Paste me the errors you get