Topic: IPB => PunBB

well, now that IPB are going pay only... i need to find new forum software. PunBB i like but i need a few things answered first?

Is there now or possibly in the future a IPB 1.3 Final => PunBB converter?

Is PunBB going to be regularly updated?

Is skins available, or is the code easily changed to allow a nice integration with other sites?

a quick response would be great thanks smile

Primary Laptop 12.1" iBook - 800MHz G4 w/ 256k L2 Cache - 640 DDR266 Ram - 40GB HD - Combo Drive - BlueTooth - OS X (Panther

Re: IPB => PunBB

1. There is currently no IPB->PunBB converter available. However, Chacmool has written one for phpBB-PunBB and modifying it to also convert IPB databases shouldn't be too difficult.

2. It will be updates as long as I think it needs updating. If I ever tire of working on PunBB, I'm sure someone else will take over. However, if you are looking for a constant flow of new features, you will have to look elsewhere.

3. Modifying colors, borders and stuff like that is possible in the current version (via css-files). Styling the next big release of PunBB (1.2) will be easier though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

sounds good, as for updates all im looking for is a fairly secure php based forum, so my members feel safe. smile

its looking very good at the moment, very fast too wink

Primary Laptop 12.1" iBook - 800MHz G4 w/ 256k L2 Cache - 640 DDR266 Ram - 40GB HD - Combo Drive - BlueTooth - OS X (Panther

thekore wrote:

well, now that IPB are going pay only... i need to find new forum software. PunBB i like but i need a few things answered first?

Is there now or possibly in the future a IPB 1.3 Final => PunBB converter?

Is PunBB going to be regularly updated?

Is skins available, or is the code easily changed to allow a nice integration with other sites?

a quick response would be great thanks :)

Maybe I'll a take a look at it sometime this week. As Rickard said, a converter shouldn't be that hard to rewrite, the problem is to get the time to do it :)

i understand, i need a good reliable replacement, and i really like the look and speed of this board.

I wouldnt mind having a vbulletin style templating system. All the styles are stored in a big file (599kb) in the admin directory and then its all accessed in that. It would be so kewl if PunBB had that feature.

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------
---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

Dale wrote:

I wouldnt mind having a vbulletin style templating system. All the styles are stored in a big file (599kb) in the admin directory and then its all accessed in that. It would be so kewl if PunBB had that feature.

This has already come up a few times. The answer was no, no way, no how, never.