Re: I think Textile should replace BBcode

Lol, anyone who psts everything like that deserves to be banned.

No comment from Rickard yet? Guess it's not something he wants to do.

It's annoying when you have to type yourself BBcode ... but with my request made by Rickard (easy bbcode) ... all people can do code easily smile

Tobi wrote:

No, really, why trying to have a complete html replacement?
Would be easier to actually allow at least some HTML tags than having to learn a complete new markup language smile

I really agree with that.
One thing that lacked when i switched to PunBB was the ability to define a coma separated list of allowed HTML tags (like abbr, acronym, or whatever...).
I really found it usefull...
It's not that hard to implement, though. smile

Ah well. I guess I'll look in to this plugin.

I use PHP Markdown very extensively (especially for mail) on the company's intranet, and am looking for an in-company forum platform to exchange information and text snippets that could be reintegrated into e-mail. Until now I am using PunBB but failing for what regards the mails.

So I would be very, very happy if PunBB supported Markdown syntax.

(and yes, we have a policy of firing without questions people who abuse cheesy styles)

Is there a project to support PHP Markdown, or even PHP MarkDown Extra in PunBB?

I think it could be done as a plugin in 1.3.

I have made my own experimentations with Markdown, and was stopped mainly by the implementation of the skins.

The other thing that stopped me was the way to implement the footnotes (That's PHP-MarkDown-Extra): they should be localized strictly to the context of each message, as you may have the same references in several messages on the same topic.

If that is coming true in 1.3, Allelouia.

33 (edited by guardian34 2007-06-30 18:54)

Just out of curiosity... Has there been any consideration of making PunBB's BBCode implementation into an extension for 1.3 (and still using it by default)?

34 (edited by Benoit 2007-07-01 03:19)

I agree: it would make sense logically, for all coding implementations could be turned into extensions, with one by default.

BBcode is still, unfortunately, the basic for a vast majority of user.

Beside, most of the user of other markup language or typographic helper (Textile, Markdown, etc.) already have a board under BBcode that will need conversion of some kind.

So, it's pretty much plugins... and people to write them.

Being a textpattern and Basecamp user, I would also vastly prefer Textile. I even use it in my own web applications for markup entry and had to create an ASP class to support it since textile support is missing from VB Script Active Server Pages.

Jérémie wrote:

Beside, most of the user of other markup language or typographic helper (Textile, Markdown, etc.) already have a board under BBcode that will need conversion of some kind.

Someone could make a conversion extension.

It's still pretty cool what you can do with BBCode. Check out what one of my users post:

http://adsbb.co.za/viewtopic.php?id=743