Topic: Unicode Full Name gets Cut

When using a PunBB forum which uses Unicode, my Full Name (Real Name) was cut off to 22 characters, while it is larger.

Re: Unicode Full Name gets Cut

That's because unicode is multi-byte, which uses 2 bytes instead of 1 for a single character.

One of the reasons we do not support UTF-8 in 1.2. PunBB 1.3 will have full support though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

One of the reasons we do not support UTF-8 in 1.2. PunBB 1.3 will have full support though.

One more reason you should roll in the changes that fix utf-8 in 1.2 right away as an update.

Solovey wrote:
Rickard wrote:

One more reason you should roll in the changes that fix utf-8 in 1.2 right away as an update.

No. 1.2 is the stable, feature frozen current version. We're not going to spend our time backporting a MAJOR new feature like full UTF-8 support, which is almost certain to have issues when it's first tested, which would break the 1.2 branch and make it unstable. It makes no sense to spend our time doing that.

I migrated my forum to utf8 a looong time ago, when it had only a couple of posts, not thinking of what was implied... Now it has millions of posts and it is impossible to roll back... Biggest mistake in a long time sad Beyond the fact that the topic sometimes get cut, it works quite well though smile

It's probably only about using a utf8-compatible version of strstr or strcmp or whatever, though smile

Yann: If you're getting the topic name actually cut off, that implies you're not fully UTF-8. Otherwise, you would be able to store the data in the database. Full UTF-8 support goes beyond just changing the charset in the language files, it also means making sure the database connection is in UTF-8 and that the database tables are using the correct charset.

In 1.2, there isn't a php string length function applied to subjects?

Anyway, it will work in 1.3.

Jérémie: Exactly. But that gives an error if the subject is too long, unless I'm remembering wrong. If the subject doesn't trigger that but is still cut off in the database, that indicates a database issue.

Uh... right.