Topic: LOVE Punbb, but...got a question on signups

I have this user from Russia (i'm pretty sure) that creates a new account a few times /day. This by itself is really no way destructive but i have noticed a pattern. His/her ip address is 91.x.x.x and the email being used is:  xx@fmaks.info (note: xx used to resemble the various user names)

I think from all the sign ups and the amount of time being used he/she is just signing up a ton of accounts but I wonder if I should be worried/afraid? Also, I do have the require to read email option on new sign ups.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated & have a good one,
Aero

Re: LOVE Punbb, but...got a question on signups

and when I try the fmaks.info it has no index page for the server to go to and so it goes for me to 0catch.com.

Are you sure he is not a bot?

4 (edited by Aeroeco.net 2007-07-13 11:31)

honestly no...i have no idea really sad

edit: the reason i'm suspicious is because all these users just register and nothing more.

Did he ever posted something?

6 (edited by Aeroeco.net 2007-07-13 11:33)

dang great minds think alike lolz

edit: because i don't want to advertise i wont post a link but if you look at my username you can get the jist of it tongue
edit2: like the latest person was: "Bpfzwpzp"

7 (edited by Flinkman 2007-07-13 11:36)

Well "Bpfzwpzp" doesn't look like a human user name. You can ban his ip adress for creating multiple accounts. If he has the same ip adress as all those accounts you are talking about.

Flinkman wrote:

Well "Bpfzwpzp" doesn't look like a human user name. You can ban his ip adress for creating multiple accounts. If he has the same ip adress as all those accounts you are talking about.

No, the only similarity on the ip addresses is the 91 the remaining subnets are all different.

Anyway, I don't think you shuld be worried if he don't spam in your forum.

Flinkman wrote:

Anyway, I don't think you shuld be worried if he don't spam in your forum.

kk, i was just checking up on the whole issue. i never had one of these mass accounts peoples before enter any of my websites.

like madonna's song, 'i'm a virgin' LOL. smile

It is a bot... it might be getting settled to start spamming whenever is more convenient to it.

You should ban those users. There is an user administration module but i am not sure if it allows you multiple bans. If not that's actually a good idea for  a module.

k, ty for the info

I vote for the option with the but stuff,too.

I had a bunch of spam bots sign up at one point.

I didn't delete them because they weren't spamming my forum, so I figured there was no harm done. That was a mistake. Eventually a bunch of them started posting random junk (mostly trying to sell watches 0_o)

Anyways, delete them before they do any harm, and ban that email address.

A vote for banning them from me too.

Also can I suggest that you may perhaps want to look at tightening up your registration requirements with a CAPTCHA or something similar, if you haven't already got something in place, otherwise you may find that your board could see a lot of bot badness in the future.

There is only one good solution to spam registrations, and it is this one

100% success rate for me so far.

Landen Meadows Residents Forum - http://www.landenmeadows.net

It's very vulnerable. It's trivial to break.
For how long have you been using it now?

I use the akismet module but it bans users for everything and nothing, i am considering using this module instead.

pedrotuga wrote:

It's very vulnerable. It's trivial to break.
For how long have you been using it now?

I use the akismet module but it bans users for everything and nothing, i am considering using this module instead.

What's vulnerable about it?