Topic: Anyone interested in PunBB.info?

The Domain Punbb.info ist at the moment redirecting to punbb.org
i dont need the domain any more and will now cancel the hosting contract.

if anyone is interested just mail to:
felix at brockher . de

Re: Anyone interested in PunBB.info?

Rickard might want it. If not I will take it off your hands...

What was/is the traffic like to that domain? smile

not meaning to be impolite or whatsoever, a domain is not important anymore nowadays. 99% of the people who would hypothetically enter a similar domain will take less than two seconds realizing that that's not the site he/she is looking for and then google it at once.

Just my two cents

Hmmm. I don't agree with you pedrotuga.

Just ask the people who own for example phpbb.org whether a domain name isn't important smile

Even if they linger for just 5 seconds before realising they are not where they wanted to be, that is enough time for many visitors to see an interesting ad link and click on it. And many people do.

It's a good business if you can find a domain lots of people visit that way: even if you make only $1/day, if the domain costs $10/ year to register and host, that's a pretty good ROI.

sirena wrote:

Hmmm. I don't agree with you pedrotuga.

Just ask the people who own for example phpbb.org whether a domain name isn't important smile

Even if they linger for just 5 seconds before realising they are not where they wanted to be, that is enough time for many visitors to see an interesting ad link and click on it. And many people do.

It's a good business if you can find a domain lots of people visit that way: even if you make only $1/day, if the domain costs $10/ year to register and host, that's a pretty good ROI.

However, what happened to the etiquette regarding .com/.co.uk, i.e: all coutry/nation domains being business based, and the likes of .org/.info and suchlike being for completely different usage? Not everything in life should be construed as a cash cow. A domain name is important. Simple fact. This advertising links obsession these days is an extreme annoyance, out of accepted bounds, however.

7 (edited by sirena 2007-08-23 12:33)

MattF wrote:

However, what happened to the etiquette regarding .com/.co.uk, i.e: all coutry/nation domains being business based, and the likes of .org/.info and suchlike being for completely different usage? Not everything in life should be construed as a cash cow. A domain name is important. Simple fact. This advertising links obsession these days is an extreme annoyance, out of accepted bounds, however.

True. This sort of usage of domain names is rather parasitic and most such sites (like phpbb.org) are just junk / click bait. And I agree that domain names can be important.

But there is such a huge galaxy out there in the Internet space formed by all the permutations of wrong clicks and typos and dumb search results and so on that really relate very little to anything specifically important - domain names or whatever - that it is hard to begrudge people capitalising on that stream of eyes and clicks. Especially when the rules allow it.

What I hate though is people who do it behind your back - ie those registrars who will sit trash ad-filled pages on your parked domains or domain related DNS errors, and make it look as if you've gotten down in the gutter with them...

sirena wrote:

No it's not. It's against etiquette and customs, it's a parasite activity that shouldn't take place.