i humbly submit my final (?) contribution to what, in my opinion, is pertinant (i.e. "cutting the crap") info about why choosing a mac is a very "informed" and intelligent decision, both on a personal computing and server level:
- look in the mac section of the menu. Much in swedish, but translated in most places. Of course, it is not a mac-evangelizing web site, but just some thoughts gathered over time...
My apologies for the speed to my server. It is purely isp related, or rather file-sharer related, as our area in the woods is infested with them, constantly choking the net, forcing the isp to continually upgrade and ramp up the capacity of his network (subscribers get 2 MBit). I am in constant contact with him, reporting on network issues, and it seems that some peoples' prediction, that p2p will cause the downfall of the internet, is closer to reality than ever before At times when the file-sharers are inactive, the server is every bit as snappy as most others.
Bear in mind - i come from a printing and publishing background, and started on the www/server/php/dns/hosting/-journey only about a year+ ago, but since then, mac os x server has made all these tools and instruments easily available to even one such as ignorant myself:
- own domain and dns server ("the machinery that makes internet tick") [BIND]
- own mail server, for family and friends, virtually spam-free [Cyrus+Postfix+Mailman]
- four www-sites [Apache]
- web-redirection service for a number of ppl around the globe (www.gr8.se) [proprietary]
- web-dav and sftp server, used to host personal www-sites, shared calendars and file-storage
- quicktime streaming server (much like darwin streaming server)
- iTunes streaming to the rest of the puters (one pc, acting as a juke-box, hooked up to the stereo) in the house
- private kdx server
- AND, on this same machine i produce tv-quality dv movies in either iMovie or FinalCutPro, or run any other osx client app - at the same time, no reboot, no noticable delay for internet users, as QOS (Quality Of Service) prioritizes the internet services.
- all the other stuff the server can do, i do not have use for yet, but file-serving windows boxes among many other technologies, may come in handy one day...
- and this machine is a 6 year old box! (g4, 400 mhz), up-times of months, needing rebooting only after major os upgrades, later to be replaced with a faster one - by moving the boot disk to the new machine - done! - no reconfig or anything. (or possibly a one-click cloning to a new/bigger drive, or one with different interface, as the G5 has SerialATA)
THIS all, is what i call a system which can do a lot of useful stuff for me, from scratch, no additional software installed or bought - and it makes it impossible for me to boast about what I have accomplished, rather I can only "boast" about what this [Apple] system can do for me.
Would i have been able to have all this on a win-tel or *nix box. NO, not me! I fully and whole-heartedly respect the win-tel peoples' abilities, who manage to get most of this stuff working on their boxes. *hat OFF*