Topic: MySQL search

Can anyone explain to me the best way to modify search.php to use MySQL's proprietary fulltext search instead of PunBB's database-independent one? Or, if anyone has the modified version laying around, feel free to send it along. smile

Re: MySQL search

Use queries with the LIKE statement

elbekko wrote:

No, that will not use fulltext indexing. You need to add a fulltext index to the affected columns and then change the search script to issue queries on the form MATCH (field) AGAINST('searchtext'). I think there was a mod for this. Not sure though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard,

Any thoughts on using fulltext search if the database selected on install is MySQL?

Rickard wrote:
elbekko wrote:

No, that will not use fulltext indexing. You need to add a fulltext index to the affected columns and then change the search script to issue queries on the form MATCH (field) AGAINST('searchtext'). I think there was a mod for this. Not sure though.

I found this one, but it doesn't attempt switching the search method entirely.

I've had a closer look at search.php, and I think I'm going to hold back on attempting a job like this if no one else has even tried it before. I expect my hosting costs to go through the roof, but I'll prune some posts or something if I have to.

Thanks.