Topic: "Reusable" search URLs

I hope no one else has mentioned this before, but anyway...

CodeXP and I recently had a little bit of off-topic discussion about this issue. Basically, if I do a search and paste the URL from my addressbar into a post, the search will "Return no hits." Is there any way that in a future version this could be changed [ i.e. I do a search, give someone else the URL to the results, and they see my same results ] ? (because not everyone has a fancy-schmancy searchbox in their browser toolbar like CodeXP tongue )

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Re: "Reusable" search URLs

Well, it has to do with how PunBB caches the search results to not have to execute the full search when you jump between pages in the search result. Not sure how to work around that.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I see.

Well, if you ever make any serious changes to the search system, please look into it. Thanks.

Though now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't be all that hard to mod search.php to have a "shortcut link" with the search parameters in the URL at the bottom of search pages.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Perhaps a "search BBCode" could be a viable alternative?

CodeXP wrote:

Perhaps a "search BBCode" could be a viable alternative?

I dunno, maybe, but it seems like a bit of a waste to me to have parser.php looking for yet another BBCode in every single post (though I guess that wouldn't have too much of an impact).

That and I don't want to teach everyone how to use a search BBCode. smile