Topic: Viewing our forums on Sidekicks or Something Equivalent?

I have seen a lot of forum boards have a feature where the end user can now surf the forum boards through their mobile devices.

Such as a site like this: www.absolutepunk.net can now be viewed on Sidekicks by going to: http://www.absolutepunk.net/sidekick

I was wondering if any of the hardcore punbb mod developers would consider trying to do this for punbb. I already know vB and Invision already have some mods that can do this, but I would like to see punbb users be able to view the boards when they are "on the go". smile

Re: Viewing our forums on Sidekicks or Something Equivalent?

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=10171
PunBB already works well out of the box tongue

Well it works up to a point on mobile devices. Opera Mini is fine but it could be improved with a couple of minor tweaks to a handheld stylesheet. Multi column tables are always going to cause a problem on any very narrow format device like a mobile phone and thats more than a css tweak. There is no need for a special version though as the reasons for them simply don't exist in PunBB.

If anybody did want to give this a try its actaully really easy. All that needs doing is tableless markup for index, viewforum etc being added to those files with an "if/else" to select whether the tabled or tableless version is dsiplayed according to a user preference. My guess is adding about a dozen lines of markup to each file with a table in it and an additional if/else statement wouldn't effect performance in any way so it might make a very good mod or extension.

Paul wrote:

Well it works up to a point on mobile devices. Opera Mini is fine but it could be improved with a couple of minor tweaks to a handheld stylesheet. Multi column tables are always going to cause a problem on any very narrow format device like a mobile phone and thats more than a css tweak. There is no need for a special version though as the reasons for them simply don't exist in PunBB.

If anybody did want to give this a try its actaully really easy. All that needs doing is tableless markup for index, viewforum etc being added to those files with an "if/else" to select whether the tabled or tableless version is dsiplayed according to a user preference. My guess is adding about a dozen lines of markup to each file with a table in it and an additional if/else statement wouldn't effect performance in any way so it might make a very good mod or extension.

sounds pretty sweet, i hope someone can make this mod in the future. smile