1 (edited by margeryred 2006-03-09 05:20)

Topic: Time Zone not correct

Hello!

Thank you for the creation of this software... so far so good!

First of all... I am in the EST -05 time zone, however, when posting that time is incorrect. 

If I put the settings on PST -08 time zone, it shows current time.  The problem with this is, people who are somewhat computer literate are changing their time and screwing up the time stamping...

Second... Is there a way to back up the entire board periodically???

Thank you!

Re: Time Zone not correct

You have to set your SERVERS timezone in Options first, then users can change whatever they want in their profile, it won't matter. As long as it is set for server timezone there will be no issues (YOU have to do the same if you are not located in the servers timezone).

Back up the board via your host cpanel or via phpMyAdmin or via just straight mysql.

The problem with the time zone is all members on the board live in the same time zone... I set it for EST -05 and that put our time off....

Now that I set the whole board at PST -08 it will post in "our" real time... but some members are changing their settings to EST -05 (because they know that is the time zone we are all in) but that throws the time off...

HELP!  Is this a glitch in the code?

Margery

Just tell your members not to alter the timezone then.

Set the timezone to -5. That should get default time to GMT. Then, run

update prefixusers set timezone = -5 where id = 1

Replace prefix with the DB prefix for your forum.
Also, remove this line in functions.php:

$pun_user['timezone'] = $pun_config['o_server_timezone'];

That should make the Guest user have the correct time when looking at the forums. It also allows users to choose the proper offset.