Topic: Why not Topic Subject on "Last Post" table on Index?

I'm not saying that I don't like this feature, I just want to know why the devs of PunBB did this, since most of the other Forum packages uses the subject of the topic in the Forum Index.

2 (edited by bill posters 2006-06-25 10:13)

Re: Why not Topic Subject on "Last Post" table on Index?

Hi, all.

I've tried modding my 1.2.12 install of PunBB using Ju's Subject of last post on index mod, but it's not working.
I'm still getting the same date format and username as used in the default install setup.

Any ideas why the mod might not be working?
Does is rely on a config that has been changed in 1.2.12?

(The wiki page linked in that thread returns a 404.)

Big thanks in advance for any help

Bill, neubrain's method has worked fine for me, so I suggest you give that a shot.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

I think most forums have got this wrong including PunBB. I have never really understood what the purpose of the last post column was. I suppose some indication of when a forum was last active might be useful but I've certainly never actually used the link, why would I want to jump directly to the last post in a forum and why should I care who the last poster was? I suspect this is one of those features that has become standard and now nobody wants to risk getting rid of it.

When the topic subject is displayed, I find the last post column useful because it gives me a rough, at-a-glance idea of what is being discussed, especially when I'm visiting a forum for the first time. The date and username are both pretty useless to me though.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Agree with pogenwurst !
For this reason, I modified Punbb's code for our forum smile

[no signature]

What if you are the last person to post in that topic and you just want to see if something new is there?

http://www.info-mob.com/forum/ - Croatian forum only, don't bother if you don't speak Croatian :)

Hmm, good point I guess, although if someone posts to another topic in the same forum as the topic that you want to check, you run into difficulty.

Yes, Stahn is right, there should be te last topic subject on the index...

http://www.info-mob.com/forum/ - Croatian forum only, don't bother if you don't speak Croatian :)

10 (edited by bill posters 2006-06-26 08:43)

pogenwurst wrote:

Bill, neubrain's method has worked fine for me, so I suggest you give that a shot.

Many thanks. That did the job. smile

gog wrote:

What if you are the last person to post in that topic and you just want to see if something new is there?

Indeed. The Stylegala.com forum is a modded version of phpBB from which the owner removed the last post author info during some remodelling a while back.
Without that info, I found the 'new posts' page (typically my bookmarked entry page for the forums I visit) was less informative and consequently less useful. So much so that I requested that the admin reinstate it.

They never did, and they've since sold the site (w/ forum). Given that the new owner promptly screwed up by deleting the majority of the user list db entries (thereby requiring many long-standing members to reregister as new members, I don't imagine that reinstating the last post author info is high up on the list of priorities.

Like I say, it's hard to quantify how much you use it to get an impression of forum activity, but I found that I made more 'use' of it than I realised.