Topic: Finally, forums.pogenwurst.com

Well, after a few months of intermittent tweaking and tinkering, I finally have something decent to show off. It's a replacement of my old forum (with largely the same database, in fact). Read more about it, if you wish. I don't plan on it being anything huge, but a) I couldn't stand the state my old forum was in and b) I wanted something to show off.

Anyway, please take a look at forums.pogenwurst.com and give me any comments you might have (in this topic, or if you'd like to make me especially happy, in the Forum News, Help, & Suggestions forum - guest posting is enabled, even wink ).

Also, I'd like to take the time to give my utmost thanks to the following individuals: Rickard, for PunBB (of course) and the Easy BBCode mod; Paul for his markup/CSS work on PunBB; hcgtv for his excellent docs; Mediator for his Extra Boxes mod, some of the code of which I used; CodeXP, for his Group Change Security mod, his Lightbox integration script, his dynamic template tweak, and his alt text for smilies fix; Lokesh Dhakar for Lightbox JS; Cédric Savarese for the wForms repeat behaviour; Andreas Viklund for his Andreas05 template; Ghost, for his You Can See Profile! mod; Chacmool and Connorhd for the Private Message Mod; Smartys for his sig once per topic tweak and his Google Sitemap generator; NightFalcon for his Image Upload mod; bbaweb for the turn images off in a forum mod; elbekko for his links mod, and Pokemon_JoJo for his PBB Gallery mod.

I've also done a bunch of tweaks of my own, but I'd rather not take the time to list them all. If you notice anything you'd like the code to, feel free to ask. If you'd like links to anything mentioned above, feel free to ask about that as well.

Once again, the site is forums.pogenwurst.com. Thanks for taking a look (and... registering...? Hehe, I'm desperate, I know)

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Re: Finally, forums.pogenwurst.com

Wow, did you leave out any mods wink

I'll keep playing with it but so far I like the different look of it, not your run of the mill looking PunBB forum. Andreas would be happy to see one of his creations adapted to something other than a blog.

In Firefox, when I run my mouse over the side menu it slides down a bit, that's the only thing I've noticed.

hcgtv wrote:

Wow, did you leave out any mods wink

Probably. tongue

hcgtv wrote:

I'll keep playing with it but so far I like the different look of it, not your run of the mill looking PunBB forum. Andreas would be happy to see one of his creations adapted to something other than a blog.

Thanks. I couldn't design my way out of a paper bag, so Andreas's design really came in handy.

hcgtv wrote:

In Firefox, when I run my mouse over the side menu it slides down a bit, that's the only thing I've noticed.

Yep, it didn't do that at one point, but I've forgotten what I've changed; I keep changing things to cope with IE6 CSS problems and end up messing up other things. I've given up on that and a couple other minor bugs for the time being, though.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Internal Server Error

5 (edited by pogenwurst 2006-08-03 02:21)

Paul wrote:

Internal Server Error

Uh-oh, where? Main page? I haven't come across any errors.

Edit: Someone who came visited my site via this thread is using Safari. If you're reading this, would you mind telling me how it renders (or any other Safari user)?

pogenwurst wrote:
Paul wrote:

Internal Server Error

Uh-oh, where? Main page? I haven't come across any errors.

Edit: Someone who came visited my site via this thread is using Safari. If you're reading this, would you mind telling me how it renders (or any other Safari user)?

I just got a spat of internal server errors, but they're gone again. Probably a hosting issue (my host isn't that great, but I use it anyway because through a somewhat complicated series of events it doesn't cost me anything).

If you want to fix the juddering menu, you have to make sure that the padding and border in the :link state is the same as the hover state. You either use a border the same colour as the background in the link state or make the padding one px bigger than in the hover state. Now you'll tell me the judder was deliberate big_smile

Paul wrote:

If you want to fix the juddering menu, you have to make sure that the padding and border in the :link state is the same as the hover state. You either use a border the same colour as the background in the link state or make the padding one px bigger than in the hover state. Now you'll tell me the judder was deliberate big_smile

Actually, I believe that's how I had it at one point (honest!), but for some reason that seems hazy to me know, I changed it. I'll look into it.

pogenwurst wrote:

Actually, I believe that's how I had it at one point

Yep, it sure was. I now remember the sequence of events:

1. I had gotten my CSS to the point where there was no Judder in Fx 1.5, Moz 1.7, or Opera 9, but there was one in IE6.
2. I had tried to fix the judder in IE6 many times, in many ways, many of which were similar to Paul's padding suggestions (my problem is that while Opera/Gecko supports "transparent" for a border color, IE6 does not).
3. I gave up on the IE6 judder, figuring its users deserved the annoyance anyway. wink
4. I ran my CSS through the W3C validator, and discovered a bug: "transparent" is a valid border color when specified through BORDER-COLOR, but apparently not through the shorthand BORDER. Perplexing.
5. Not thinking, I replaced "BORDER: 1px solid transparent" with "BORDER-COLOR: transparent", causing the judder to spread to better browsers than IE6.
6. Paul's post made me remember that I had once had it right (in some browsers, at least) and led me to seek a backup.
7. I found said backup and used it to fix the judder in Opera/Gecko. I got around the validator bug by using "BORDER: 1px solid; BORDER-COLOR: transparent".
8. I used Paul's suggestions to try to once again fix the IE6 judder (several times), but grew impatient.
9. I once again gave up on the IE6 judder, once again figuring its users deserved the annoyance anyway.
10. I wrote this post.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. smile

P.S. Thanks for your advice, Paul.

pogenwurst wrote:

once again figuring its users deserved the annoyance anyway

While I agree with this... At work I dont have the option... which makes a very unpleasent experience. Sorry to say!

pogenwurst wrote:

10. I wrote this post.

Mo better now, at least for us Gecko folks wink

12 (edited by pogenwurst 2006-08-03 19:13)

StevenBullen wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

once again figuring its users deserved the annoyance anyway

While I agree with this... At work I dont have the option... which makes a very unpleasent experience. Sorry to say!

Sorry about that. sad

I'll have it on my todo list.

EDIT: There's still a jutter in IE, but it's not quite as severe (unlike the previous jutter, however, I have no idea of the cause). Is that any better for you? Ideas?

P.S. Thanks for joining!

i like the design. Its quite simple. Did you design it yourself? Cause I would love to steal it if not from wherever you got it smile

!

Emancipator wrote:

i like the design. Its quite simple. Did you design it yourself? Cause I would love to steal it if not from wherever you got it smile

It's based upon the Andreas05-reversed template by Andreas Viklund, but I made a lot of modifications of my own to it. There's a link to the original in my board's footer.

The AndreasXX templates rock.  I think i've downloaded every one he's done.

I like this. big_smile
Nice side nav, that's neat.

teenagegluesniffer wrote:

I like this. big_smile
Nice side nav, that's neat.

Thanks.

pogenwurst, your forum looks fine in Safari. smile

guardian34 wrote:

pogenwurst, your forum looks fine in Safari. smile

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know.

Safari test? http://www.browsrcamp.com

Thanks helter.

pogenwurst wrote:

Thanks helter.

No problem. cool

You've got one of the best, if not the best looking Punbb site I've had the pleasure of seeing thus far.

Although, there is an error now:

Warning: ob_start() [ref.outcontrol]: output handler 'ob_gzhandler' cannot be used twice in /mnt/w0202/d20/s22/a000skup/www/brian/punbb/include/functions.php on line 982
An error was encountered
File: /mnt/w0202/d20/s22/a000skup/www/brian/punbb/index.php
Line: 42

PunBB reported: Unable to fetch category/forum list

Database reported: Can't create/write to file '/usr/local/host/mysql20/tmp/#sql_557_1.MYD' (Errcode: 17) (Errno: 1)

<webular>Programming Community</webular>

Al-Dhikr wrote:

You've got one of the best, if not the best looking Punbb site I've had the pleasure of seeing thus far.

Thanks!

Al-Dhikr wrote:

Although, there is an error now:

I saw that error yesterday too. I'm assuming that it's a problem with my host.

Edit: Hmmm, I just got it again, maybe not. Time to investigate.

They're nice forums indeed big_smile