Topic: My questions

I am not sure I am in the right place..But is this where I can ask my "stupid" questions about PunBB?

I just installed the forum this morning, and I am far away of being a webmaster, so I am having some little difficulties.

May I ask questions in here then? smile

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

Sure, ask away smile

Re: My questions

Alright :-)
Get prepared for some "easy" questions, that may sound dump to you :-)

1- Why does my registration form differ from the one you have in here? Mine makes the user registered right away, no mail sent, nor many pages to submit. You can choose the password, it's not imposed!

2- How can I make a member be an admin or mod?

3- What's pruning? o_O

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

Papillon wrote:

1- Why does my registration form differ from the one you have in here? Mine makes the user registered right away, no mail sent, nor many pages to submit. You can choose the password, it's not imposed!

Well, that would be because this forum has confirmation turned on. This implies that all users signing up need to click a confirmation link and use the sent password the first time they sign up.

2- How can I make a member be an admin or mod?

As an admin, go to their profile and click Administration

3- What's pruning? o_O

It's the process of removing posts older than a set time.

5 (edited by Papillon 2006-10-06 17:20)

Re: My questions

elbekko wrote:

Well, that would be because this forum has confirmation turned on. This implies that all users signing up need to click a confirmation link and use the sent password the first time they sign up.

And how would that be set?
Wouldn't it be better if users choose their own passwords but then just can't post till they receive an activation link? Is that possible with PunBB?

elbekko wrote:

As an admin, go to their profile and click Administration

Ca marche! Thanks :-)


elbekko wrote:

It's the process of removing posts older than a set time.

I don't want that! It's not done automatically, right? I didn't set any number of days.
But there is a "yes" for this "When enabled sticky topics will also be pruned.". Should I change it?

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

Papillon wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Well, that would be because this forum has confirmation turned on. This implies that all users signing up need to click a confirmation link and use the sent password the first time they sign up.

And how would that be set?
Wouldn't it be better if users choose their own passwords but then just can't post till they receive an activation link? Is that possible with PunBB?

I doubt you can do that. It's not too hard to copy your given password once and then change it wink

elbekko wrote:

It's the process of removing posts older than a set time.

I don't want that! It's not done automatically, right? I didn't set any number of days.
But there is a "yes" for this "When enabled sticky topics will also be pruned.". Should I change it?

It isn't done automatically wink So no worries about any settings.

Re: My questions

Alright for pruning.

For registration, I was asking about how to set the confirmation like in here to get a password, and then change it. Because I said, for me it's plain simple!

Thanks for your support, really smile

Tell me :$..Isn't there any feature to add smilies and all the bold/italic/underlined and font thnigies?

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

Sure, just install the Easy BBCode plugin. It (and many others) can be found over at PunRes.

9

Re: My questions

Hi,

1. Administration > Options > Verify registrations

2. http://punbb.org/docs/faq.html#faq2_2

Re: My questions

hcgtv wrote:

1. Administration > Options > Verify registrations
2. http://punbb.org/docs/faq.html#faq2_2

Oops! I hate when it happens. I really went through all the corner in the administration part this morning, and I made sure I read most of the FAQ. Shame! Hope I am not giving you so much trouble!

elbekko wrote:

Sure, just install the Easy BBCode plugin. It (and many others) can be found over at PunRes.

I just went to check that link. I am still unfamiliar with all this.
I am at: http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=50..I can't see where I can download it o_o

Please bear with me :'(

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

http://www.punres.org/download.php?id=115

Re: My questions

Hi again smile

I have been busy with studies and didn't get to do much about my forum. It still has very few members and giving me some time to get used to it.

I was wondering how to move a post from a topic to create a new one.
(Don't tell me it's mentioned somewhere and I missed that!)

Thanks again.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

You mean take one or more posts in an existing topic and make them into their own topic? That's not a feature of PunBB by default I'm afraid

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: My questions

Smartys wrote:

You mean take one or more posts in an existing topic and make them into their own topic? That's not a feature of PunBB by default I'm afraid

That's what I meant..And too bad! sad

What about having an extra statistics line in the bottom showing the most users ever online at once?

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

That's a mod as well wink

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: My questions

Smartys wrote:

That's a mod as well wink

Er..meaning?

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

Meaning that functionality isn't in PunBB by default and you need to install a modification to get it

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: My questions

Is there a list of mods possible to be made, and explained in small words for newbies please? I'd appreciate your help smile

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Re: My questions

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for wink
Anyone can make a mod to do anything. If you're looking for released mods, take a look at PunRes

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize