Topic: switching servers need guidance

Hello. I'm newbie but trying to learn as fast as possible. If anyone could help me with the process of switching servers greatly appreciate it.

Not sure how to take punBB forum we've been using for year or so and move it in its entirety to a new server.

Process so far: Have tried backing up everything, ftp'ing this to new server, finding folder where the forum lives, loading the forum via install.php and then ftp'ing new config.php file. I've created new mySQL database for it, loaded in proper settings,  etc. .....but....when punBB forum is created it's brand new forum without any of the data/posts we've compiled.

Sure I'm simply missing some steps here. Any advice? MUCH THANKS.

will

Re: switching servers need guidance

You need to backup (mysqldump) your forum database, and then move it up into the new database.

how do i do this?

specifically, how to move up into the new database?

i've used phpMyAdmin to set up a new database but everytime i try to connect backup folder to it i get a brand new punBB install.

thanks.

will

Okay, I have done it a few times before so i guess i will have a go at explaining.

So obviously you need both forum files and database, i always copy all the forum files via ftp onto my system. Then proceed to my sites phpmyadmin, From there select the forum database then hit 'export' from the top navigation. At the bottom of the export page you should see an option saying 'save file as' this is where you go to make a backup, i always select gzipped and just click go. Download the database file and there you go you have the forum files and db.

Now as for the new server obviously just upload all the forum files and then proceed to add a mysql database with the exact same details as your previous one once this database is create enter phpmyadmin and select that database. select 'import' from the top navbar and look at the first option on the page 'import file' browse your system and select the previously saved database backup. and voila your database has been uploaded to the new server and your forum should be in working order.

If not just check through your config.php to make sure all the database details correspond corretly.

5 (edited by medmoth 2006-11-24 05:28)

OK, so I'm facing a learning curve here but great learning experience!

Have followed your directions and am working with phpMyAdmin for the first time:
facing problem of apparently trying to upload file that's too big.

And now getting following error message: "#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci' at line

Any suggestions? THANKS.