Topic: Option to sort topics alphabetically?

Can you add an "Alphabetical" option in "Sort topics by" drop down list?

Currently, in the Administration section, under Forums, and Edit forum details, there is a ?Sort topics by? drop down list that has two options: ?Last post? and ?Topic start?

Can you add ?Alphabetical? as a third option?

I had asked this back in September, but in the wrong forum...

Thanks for your help!  RICK

Re: Option to sort topics alphabetically?

No interest in this? 

Is this under consideration for v1.3?

3 (edited by twohawks 2007-02-15 21:23)

@RAHster: I think you mean 'by topic subject', which is not held in the forums table...

@punbb masters: Could this be done, loosely speaking, by JOINing the Topics "subject" from the topics table in the result  under '//fetch forum info' in the admin_forums.php file, and then listing it (adding it) in the sort_by variable ...type of thing, generally speaking? 

If so, it seems a simple thing to add other types of sorting capabilities.

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool

Just to say, doing this sorting in sql might be somewhat different for each supported db type.,. Could (in php) make an array of subjects with keys of topic_id then sort the array. finally array_unshift though the alphabetically sorted keys of topic_id.

echo "deadram"; echo; fortune;

You guys are making this far harder than it is: all it requires is a different order by option
I personally have no opinion on the feature, but I do think it's better suited for an extension

twohawks wrote:

@RAHster: I think you mean 'by topic subject', which is not held in the forums table...

Yes, your right...  "by topic subject" is what I need.

I had found an earlier discussion on this at http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9049 where a ?do it yourself? suggestion is posted.  I assume this suggestion would work, although I haven't tried it.  I was hoping for an option in the administrative drop-down list so that it could be chosen on a forum-by-forum basis.