Re: Sample PunBB 1.3 Board

The beautiful urls are cool. But i sort of got too used to this look. The 1.3 version default looks scared me a bit i have to confess.
I was about to come up with a solution for the seo friendly urls. I wrote this sitemap script for phorum, a bit like vbulletin archives. It was very easy and it works very well. I was thinking about doing the same for punbb but i guess now with the new version that's not necessary anymore right?

Here is a link so you can see know how it looks.

hi !
i installed punbb 1.3 on my local server ( latest linux xampp ), i installed it this morning, but there is on big bug i think ( or maybe it is my configuration ... ) :
_ i just can't create new forums, i can create new categories, but when i try to create new forums, the correponding button seems to do nothing ( as if the button doesn't link to anything ... ), i delete the forums.php "svncheckout" again, i have the very latest build and default xampp setup ...

thanks

Hi,

As of Revision 692, the SVN code is in a bit of flux. r692 was the start of many changes made by Paul to the forum's markup, it's going to take a few days to work out any issues that may have cropped up.

Keep pulling SVN, things should normalize soon enough.

What's the status on 1.3? Is there an expected release date? How far off is it to being ready to be released, estimated??

CreedFeed wrote:

What's the status on 1.3? Is there an expected release date? How far off is it to being ready to be released, estimated??

* Development version, not for live use, more for curios people who want to know how it looks/functions now. (But remember that the dev version isn't guaranteed to work!)
(Lots of things will still change, and I wouldn't advice people to use it until at least a beta or a release candidate has been released)
* No. (Deadlines etc. rush the creation, resulting in things that might not be so good, but does do what it's intended to do, in a way that might not be the best...)
* When it's done. (see above)

Shouldn't you incorporate features which are a standard on nearly every other board?

subforums
polls
private messaging
Remote linking avatars
Insertable bbcode and smilies by clicking on them
better search engine indexing features

These should be a standard in punbb in my opinion

blackfox wrote:

Shouldn't you incorporate features which are a standard on nearly every other board?

subforums
polls
private messaging
Remote linking avatars

Not necessarily, because that's not what PunBB is about. Read this topic to see what I mean.
That being said, we are always examining ways we can make PunBB better, so it's certainly possible that some of those could become core functionality. A couple at the least will be official extensions for 1.3.

Oh, and I'm confused: what do you mean by "better search indexing features"?

33 (edited by Jérémie 2007-04-30 13:19)

blackfox wrote:

polls

Not everyone has use for this. And some, or even a lot of, people will want something more, to the point where this functionallity needs to be as good as tools use by professionals. It's a job for a plugin in my opinion.

private messaging

Why re-invent the wheel when everyone has an email that can do this and much more? I've always wandered about this...

Remote linking avatars

Usability and security concern on this. The forum need to enforce size restriction (that's not so hard, at worst remote avatar could use a fixed size and be done with it) and weight restriction (and that's much more tricky).

1.3 is going fulltext I think.

I agree on the other ones thought.

blackfox wrote:

subforums
polls
private messaging
Remote linking avatars

That kind of defeats the whole idea of PunBB. If you want the features that are standard on nearly every other board then you can take your pick of "nearly every other board". The whole purpose of PunBB was to cater for people who didn't want or need those features.

The exception might be clickable smilies etc as that is really a usability enhancement to a basic feature rather than a new feature but thats just my opinion.

35 (edited by hsl 2007-05-07 15:19)

I love the upcoming version, but why does it take so long? Last month the developpers where not really active, is there anything we as normal users can do to speed things up a bit?

:-)

hsl wrote:

Last month the developpers where not really active, is there anything we as normal users can do to speed things up a bit?
:-)

Short of paying us large enough amounts of money to take time off work, not really.

I remember (or perhaps I dreamt) Rickard had a public To Do list for v1.2, would it be possible to have such thing for v1.3?

Strofanto wrote:

I remember (or perhaps I dreamt) Rickard had a public To Do list for v1.2, would it be possible to have such thing for v1.3?

Yes, it's here: http://dev.punbb.org/report/1

Cool, thanks Jansson.