1 (edited by Polo 2006-12-15 14:28)

Topic: Why so secret about PunBB's feature and roadmap?

Why are you so secret with PunBB's feature and roadmap? It will just make the users confused and not even know if this is a script worth using in the feature.

Do you have anything to say about PunBB in the feature or do you wanna keep it secret due to competition? Maybe a roadmap?

Re: Why so secret about PunBB's feature and roadmap?

Erm... what?

is that what you mean : http://dev.punbb.org/ ?

Please visit http://dev.punbb.org/, don't tell anyone smile

5 (edited by Polo 2006-12-15 15:42)

There is no clear direction/roadmap how PunBB is going at least as far as I am concerned.

We lack a proper roadmap, yes. The reason for that is that we just haven't gotten around to setting one up. However, I do not agree that we are in any way secret about the features coming in the next version of PunBB. The dev site that people linked to above contains information on the major planned enhancements in PunBB 1.3. The minor enhancements can be found by looking at the tickets.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Well, yeah, for the next version but not in the long run. wink. I am not sure if you have planned it yet, but a roadmap would be great on the website.

Polo,

PunBB is a minimalistic forum, it doesn't aim to be another vBulletin.

With PunBB 1.3, an extension system will be put in place that will allow for anyone to add functionality to the core. This should pretty much help cover all the bases when it comes to wanting feature 'X'.

So a roadmap going past 1.3 would be predicated on how well the extension system handles itself. What I see post 1.3 is a further tweaking of the extension and the templating systems, to allow for PunBB to be easily extended and styled to one's liking.

Now that we have more developers on board, a proper roadmap will come after 1.3 is released, right now we're all busy getting it out the door.

hcgtv wrote:

Polo,

PunBB is a minimalistic forum, it doesn't aim to be another vBulletin.

With PunBB 1.3, an extension system will be put in place that will allow for anyone to add functionality to the core. This should pretty much help cover all the bases when it comes to wanting feature 'X'.

So a roadmap going past 1.3 would be predicated on how well the extension system handles itself. What I see post 1.3 is a further tweaking of the extension and the templating systems, to allow for PunBB to be easily extended and styled to one's liking.

Now that we have more developers on board, a proper roadmap will come after 1.3 is released, right now we're all busy getting it out the door.

Well, even the smallest forums do need a roadmap. wink

It should be noted that I think a roadmap can sometime have a negative effect on development. More so in an application that aspires to be minimalistic and clean. When people are working towards any kind of deadline, they have a tendency to rush into things, not thinking them through properly. We definitely don't want that. In the commercial world, where profit interests force developers to do the bare minimum, deadlines and roadmaps are necessary in order to keep the project on schedule. Thankfully, with open source, we don't need them. There are no project managers flashing Gantt charts in front of our eyes every time we miss a deadline. One can of course apply the commercial model to open source development as well, but we don't.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

As a user, I agree a roadmap is not needed right now. The goal is 1.3 (and we know what's in it, mostly), asap (before the end of the year or we will need to buy a hat).

As Rickard said, a roadmap is great when you want to have a new release every 6th month (or whatever interval you chose). But what we're really trying to do here, is good software. Deadlines are not important, you can't rush perfection smile

That's not saying we'll continue to push new features into 1.3 until the end of time though, the major features are pretty much set in stone and can be found in several places. If you want even more details, take a look at the tickets on http://dev.punbb.org/.

We've also been discussing how to get out more info about 1.3 to the community, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves.