Topic: Trouble with email on Windows Server

I'm trying to config pun to use a local email server. The server is running windows server 2003, PHP 5.2.0, Mysql 5.0, and the built in email server that's included with the whole operating system. I don't know what it's really called because my knowledge of windows servers is limited, but the smtp banner says "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.1830".

I got the forum working with mysql, proper permissions and everything, but for some reason email is failing. I set the forum to use "localhost" as the smtp server, and didn't config it to use any authentication system since most mail servers permit all types of email when the sender is on the local machine. However, in this case it just told me that it couldn't relay email to my email address which exists on a remote server.

So, i went back and set it to use a local account that i created in the pop3 service manager, but now it spits this out:

Error: Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message reported by the SMTP server: "504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type ".

Could anybody help me out? Thanks.

Re: Trouble with email on Windows Server

What was the error you got at the beginning?

3 (edited by mikey 2007-01-03 01:36)

I don't have the exact error, but it said something to the extent of 'Relay not permitted for me@what.cx.gov'.

I found a workaround in just using a remote postfix server for now. I'd like to deliver locally though.

I managed to find this topic:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=257515
Essentially, it looks like you need to either modify include/email.php to send your login info in clear-text or figure out what to enable on the SMTP server so that it accepts PunBB's input