Topic: punbb as framework/cms

This should probably have been  discussed before...

I got an offer to develop a minimalist CMS. I told the client there is dozens of open source CMS that are way more complete than anything i can develop myself, but he wont listen to me. Since he is the one paying i'll do whatever he wants.

The script should be used in at least 3 diferent sites and some might have user autentication.

First i thought i could use punbb db layer as it's the coolest i've seen so far. After a second i though about the user control system, and so on and so on.

It comes with a lot of usable stuff: user-control, sindication, parsers, implemented CRUD operations, etc etc

Has anybody reused punbb's code this way? I've seen a lot of sites running a portal or a news script based on punbb, but, what do you think about using parts of punbb to develop a new aplication?
Is it a good idea? is it just supid cording on the alternatives?

Re: punbb as framework/cms

You could install a small neat CMS (like Textpattern) and charge them for it ;-D

Slightly off topic but I would clarify with your client why he wants a bespoke CMS. Check that he isn't resistant to existing open source cms's because he wants the copyright in which case you would be somewhat screwed using code from PunBB or any other GPL app.

PunBB is a forum and as such would need a little tweaking before using it as a CMS.

a) No access to the date when posting.
b) Posts with future dates are displayed, though it's scheduled to be changed for 1.3.
c) The parser is geared towards bbcode, not html.

Just the above few things are a basic element of any CMS, so like Jeremie says, it's better to start off with a bare bones CMS.

Wouldn't a wiki make a better starting point for a CMS?