Topic: Unable to check for upgrade since 'allow_url_fopen' is disabled

I'm trying to upgrade from version 1.2.13 to 1.2.14 on my forum.  However, when I click "Check for Upgrade" in the forum administration, it states "Unable to check for upgrade since 'allow_url_fopen' is disabled on this system."  How can I enable 'allow_url_fopen' and is there anything I need to know to upgrade to the latest version?  Thanks.

Re: Unable to check for upgrade since 'allow_url_fopen' is disabled

allow_url_fopen is actually not crucial to update, if you keep an eye on the punbb.org homepage or subscribe the newsletter you won't miss any update.
Anyway if you want to enable it check your PHP configuration, if you have a frontend host you'd talk to its admin.

Are there any instructions on how to upgrade from 1.2.13 to 1.2.14?  I'm not extremely tech savvy, which is part of the reason I used punbb.  It was just so damn easy to install and the next thing I knew, I had a forum and members.

There are two ways.
1) Manually make the changes following the hdiff
2) Download the latest PunBB from the website and replace all the files of your forum. Just keep the config.php file and you'll be done. Also you need to run the upgrade script (12_to_1214_update.php) in the extras folder once.

If you're not used to manual changes go for the second, it's easier if you don't have any mods installed.