Topic: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Rickard just added a few hooks to the source code. That's great news for PunBB!

I've been using Rickards extension system in OpenLD for almost a month now and they work great(except when they conflicts with each other or a third party theme).

2

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

A Textpattern user also, nice.

One suggestion, you should put up an About page, it took me a while to figure out what the project was about.

So you're hanging with Tortoise lately wink

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Sonrep wrote:

Rickard just added a few hooks to the source code. That's great news for PunBB!

I've been using Rickards extension system in OpenLD for almost a month now and they work great(except when they conflicts with each other or a third party theme).

That's nice to hear. I'm adding the hooks required for the private messaging extension (which I am kind of writing at the same time).

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Sonrep wrote:

Rickard just added a few hooks to the source code. That's great news for PunBB!

big_smile

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

hcgtv wrote:

One suggestion, you should put up an About page, it took me a while to figure out what the project was about.

May do, when/if I get time for that.

hcgtv wrote:

So you're hanging with Tortoise lately wink

That was when I started the project, now I've switched to the usual command-line svn wink Also using kdesvn.

Rickard wrote:

That's nice to hear. I'm adding the hooks required for the private messaging extension (which I am kind of writing at the same time).

Another thing I thought about was the ability to write and change extensions right from the admin. Because people have different needs. This could be possible without chmodding.. just by storing the edited extension in the DB(with xml). When you later overview your extension list, you can see a small this-extension-have-been-edited notice in those rows where you have changed code for the extension. It could also be possible to revert the changes back to default if you chose to. But that may be too bloated for PunBB.

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Sonrep wrote:

Another thing I thought about was the ability to write and change extensions right from the admin. Because people have different needs. This could be possible without chmodding.. just by storing the edited extension in the DB(with xml). When you later overview your extension list, you can see a small this-extension-have-been-edited notice in those rows where you have changed code for the extension. It could also be possible to revert the changes back to default if you chose to. But that may be too bloated for PunBB.

We have plans for this. It won't be included out of the box, but we will offer an extension for making extensions. With it, you will be able to edit existing extensions as well as create new ones.

On a related note, Kristoffer (aka Jansson) has been working on a Windows application for extensions authors. It's really cool. Maybe he can show us a small demo?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

OMG! 1.3 feels closer today than ever. you're a tease Rickard. wink

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

8

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Maybe a few commonly used extensions could be "officially supported" now that the dev team has such an abundance of members?

9

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Ulph wrote:

Maybe a few commonly used extensions could be "officially supported" now that the dev team has such an abundance of members?

I believe that's the plan, I just don't know at this point which plugins will become official extensions.

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

hcgtv wrote:
Ulph wrote:

Maybe a few commonly used extensions could be "officially supported" now that the dev team has such an abundance of members?

I believe that's the plan, I just don't know at this point which plugins will become official extensions.

Well, at the very least we'll have the PM extension big_smile

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

11

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Smartys wrote:

Well, at the very least we'll have the PM extension big_smile

You've got PMs smile

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Ulph wrote:

Maybe a few commonly used extensions could be "officially supported" now that the dev team has such an abundance of members?

Correct. We'll have at least PM, "Easy BBCode" and attachments. I'd like to get polls out as well, but it's not a priority. The plan it so have extensions that in some way affect most scripts so that these extensions can be used as "inspiration" for other extensions. After all, we should know how to write them properly smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Split&Merge threads, and user multigroups belonging aren't upper on the queue than PM and attachments? 

I'm shocked neutral

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

I've been planning to make a poll mod.

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Rickard wrote:

Correct. We'll have at least PM, "Easy BBCode" and attachments. I'd like to get polls out as well, but it's not a priority. The plan it so have extensions that in some way affect most scripts so that these extensions can be used as "inspiration" for other extensions. After all, we should know how to write them properly smile

I was hoping to hear something to that effect.

Jérémie wrote:

Split&Merge threads, and user multigroups belonging aren't upper on the queue than PM and attachments?

I've been checking out some "split&merge" abilities via a plugin; It's on my list of extension ideas too. (So it multi-groups, but that's still a bit beyond me. tongue)

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Jérémie: Take a look at PunRes's most popular projects:

* 1. Private Messaging System 1.2.x
    * 2. PBB Gallery
    * 3. Calendar
    * 4. PunDokuWiki
    * 5. Easy BBCode
    * 6. Attachment Mod for PunBB 1.2.*
    * 7. Easy Poll
    * 8. PBB ChatBox
    * 9. Reputation mod
    * 10. Frontpage PunBB

I'd say that the modifications you mentioned are interesting but not necessarily top priority: there are other mods with much greater demand wink

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

17

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

I look forward for a move posts feature since I'm tired of users that posts in wrong thread. Split and merge threads is also essential.

Jansson wrote:

I've been planning to make a poll mod.

Why not a poll extension? smile

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

That's what he meant wink

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Rickard wrote:

We'll have at least PM, "Easy BBCode" and attachments. I'd like to get polls out as well, but it's not a priority.

Yes, Yes, and Yes!   I think you're spot on with the MFAFM  (most freequently asked for mods)... way to be in tune with your community.

Dang I can't wait for this to come out!

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

20

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Cool!! i hope 1.3 is going to be here soon!

Is the PM system compatible with the mod that a lot of us have installed?

big_smile

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

I'm hoping for a good Textile plug-in. It's becoming such a popular language now I think it should be integrated right into the system.

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

hsl wrote:

Cool!! i hope 1.3 is going to be here soon!

Is the PM system compatible with the mod that a lot of us have installed?

big_smile

Yes, it should be wink

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Fire Fusion wrote:

I'm hoping for a good Textile plug-in. It's becoming such a popular language now I think it should be integrated right into the system.

Amen.

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

Yay for extensions for the new parser! big_smile

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: Hooks have been added to 1.3

how noob friendly is this extension builder extension?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more