1 (edited by guntard 2007-02-15 04:54)

Topic: PunBB forum with Textpattern front end

Are you a Guntard?

Guntards.net is basically a PunBB forum, but I wanted to front-end the forum with Textpattern as a way to provide news and announcements, maybe run a little guntard blog.

There are three possible approaches to a job like this:

1. Hack Textpattern to look more like PunBB;

2. Hack PunBB to look more like Textpattern; or

3. Hack them both to look like something completely new and fresh and different.

Well, 3 was out of the question for me, and since PunBB's CSS is so bizarre and baroque, I decided to make a Texpattern site look pretty much like default PunBB.

Contrary to the suggestions in the Punres wiki, I changed the header graphic in the main.tpl template rather than the imported CSS file, but I made a lot of additions (almost no other changes) to the PunBB CSS.  I'd be happy to answer any questions about how I did what I did.

Textpattern, of course, was a joy to work with and presented no problems.

By the way, if you think you might be a guntard, feel free to register at the forum.  You will be one of the first official guntards!

Re: PunBB forum with Textpattern front end

Hi,

When PunBB 1.3 is released, making it look like your front end system will be a lot easier with Paul's changes to the underlying CSS and templates.

Glad you decided on Textpattern, the synergy of TxP and Pun will one day arrive wink

And I'm going to change my user title to "bizarre and baroque"

Baroque it is... and we like it that way smile

Paul wrote:

And I'm going to change my user title to "bizarre and baroque"

No offense intended!

Nice site, I'm a tard too smile

I used to post a bit at Nugent's bb years ago.

Need to get me a .50bmg before they outlaw'em lol

cheers

GregK wrote:

I used to post a bit at Nugent's bb years ago.

Nugent? As in Ted Nugent?

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Off on a tangent (sorry)...

Looking at this site, I am always amazed at the range of geekdom/fanboyism people get into.

Whether its guns, PC's/Mac/Linux, games consoles, motorbikes/accessories, 4WD's, coffee machines, militaria, mobile phones etc etc etc.

It seems to drive an awful lot of the web.

But I sometimes want to yell at people about this, along the lines of: folks, it's just Stuff. It's ephemera. It ain't worth a damn. You are wasting your life.

On your death-bed you won't be thinking about PS3 vs Nintendo Wii,  or Samsung Blackjack vs Treo 750, or regret the fact that you weren't able to spend more time and money pimping up your Subaru WRX or Ducati, or that you didn't get to buy a Barrett before they banned them.

Sigh.

sirena wrote:

On your death-bed you won't be thinking about...

Been there, held their hands.

What you think about is the things you didn't do or get to accomplish in your short time on Earth.

sirena wrote:

But I sometimes want to yell at people about this, along the lines of: folks, it's just Stuff. It's ephemera. It ain't worth a damn. You are wasting your life.

Wasting my life?  What else should I be doing with my life besides enjoying it to the fullest?

You got any better ideas, let me know.

redneck wrote:
sirena wrote:

Wasting my life?  What else should I be doing with my life besides enjoying it to the fullest?

You got any better ideas, let me know.

The punBB forum prob. isn't the best place to develop this dialogue to its fullest, so all I will say is that 'enjoyment' defined as consumer consumption is probably amongst the thinnest of pleasures you can buy into.

The way I see it...

IMO, if it puts a smile on yer face? its worth doin' wink

I've never fired a .50 yet, but I giggle like a little kid everytime I uncork a 3.5mag outta my turkey gun lol

Whats really fun, is sneaking in a 3.5mag after 2 target loads on a buddy big_smile
pump, bang... pump, bang... pump, BOOOOOOM! lol

@pogenwurst: yeah, Terrible Ted wink

cheers

GregK wrote:

Awesome, I love Ted Nugent!

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

sirena wrote:

The punBB forum prob. isn't the best place to develop this dialogue to its fullest, so all I will say is that 'enjoyment' defined as consumer consumption is probably amongst the thinnest of pleasures you can buy into.

The PunBB forum is also probably no place to try to convey the immense aesthetic pleasures derived from the fine engineering and craftsmanship of firearms; the feel and smell of the wood; the challenge and pleasure in restoring them; the delight in shooting them accurately; the sublime enjoyment of a day out of doors, sharing good times with friends and family, with not so much as a computer keyboard in sight.

I'm sure none of that compares, however, to an afternoon of PHP coding or golf.

pogenwurst wrote:
GregK wrote:

Awesome, I love Ted Nugent!

I've ridden in a car with him, have a gun with his signature on it, and a few pics with him. I win.