Topic: Debug mode hint in database error message

Time and time again, users post here complaining about error messages, only to be told to enable debug mode and post back again. This wastes time and is just plain annoying.

Why not add a message under errors like "Administrator: before requesting support, enable debug mode as explained in PunBB's documentation to receive more information regarding the nature of this error."? Undoubtedly the headache above will continue to occur, but its frequency may be lessened and some users might be able to decipher the errors themselves.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

Re: Debug mode hint in database error message

or maybe if your logged in as admin always show the extra info. for the admin and only admin. that seems like it would be better.

I agree with Gizzmo. (Good idea, both of you.)

But if user info fails to load, what then? tongue
Nah, it's a good idea smile

Good idea. I think I prefer pogenwurst's solution though. Otherwise, people will be confused that debug info is displayed even though debug mode is off. I'll put it on the list.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Good point, Rickard.

http://dev.punbb.org/ticket/73

Awesome, thanks.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.