Topic: International PunBB support

As you might have noticed, I've removed the list of links to non-English PunBB support sites from the forum list. The list has been promoted to a page of it's own on the website. The reasons for this are partly that the number of forums was getting out of hand, but also that I didn't want to have to pick a certain support site over another. With the new setup, multiple support sites in the same language can co-exists and we'll leave it up to the users to select which site they prefer.

If you're running an international PunBB support site that's not on the list, contact me. Do try to put some effort into it though. Last but not least, please don't ask if your site can be the "official" support site for language X. The answer is no.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

2 (edited by Nevethir 2007-03-28 22:14)

Re: International PunBB support

Very nice. I have a little question...

What benefits will by for this official sites?  Of course if will be...
I'm waiting for translation pattern for 1.3 (not SVN, which is changing). Some projects uses something like this, so when new versions are released they have time for translations...

Re: International PunBB support

There are no official support sites other than this one wink

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: International PunBB support

Without Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese?

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

Re: International PunBB support

Meowmeow wrote:

Without Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese?

If someone creates a community for them, then I'm sure Rickard will be more than happy to add it to the list smile

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: International PunBB support

Isn't http://www.ezdiy.org/ the one? hmm Or isn't it suitable?

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

Re: International PunBB support

Rickard moved the sites previously under "International discussions" to the new page. I don't believe that site was on that list.
If you run that site and want it added, contact Rickard.

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: International PunBB support

Oh yeah I'm not the site owner.

I found this site in the Downloads Page. The site owner is coolhd who also translated PunBB to Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

Re: International PunBB support

Well, if you think it should be added, tell coolhd to email Rickard wink

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: International PunBB support

Smartys wrote:

There are no official support sites other than this one wink

Sorry, my mistake. I thought about international support wink

11

Re: International PunBB support

no1 has asked  yet, but I can start the damn zzzzz question, right?

so here I go:

"how far are u guys with 1.3? hihihi smile)"

Re: International PunBB support

sassa wrote:

no1 has asked  yet, but I can start the damn zzzzz question, right?

so here I go:

"how far are u guys with 1.3? hihihi smile)"

Ask again in a topic that is no way related to PunBB, and you'll never find out smile

13 (edited by prit 2007-03-30 06:35)

Re: International PunBB support

I think this is a good decision. That is really cool to let users give their decisions to choose punbb support forum from that list.

When we setup punbb forum  we had 30 users than i asked to Rickard to become punbb Turkish forum, he said your member count is not enough. I proud to say that we have over 1000 members now. We give nearly all support for punbb. But there is a little question in my mind.

what is the criteria to be on this list? Is it enough to say we support punbb or is it enough to register a domain name which have punbb word regardless from content?

In my opinion the most important thing is content of a forum. If you say you support punbb but if you dont have  support posts for punbb it shouldnt be enough to link your forum in this list.

And i sadly say that i see some forums in that list with zero content and this made me really unhappy after all work we done. If you see something like this in that list please correct it, on the other hand this would be an unfair situation for us.

Regards;
Prit
LT Admin

Re: International PunBB support

prit wrote:

what is the criteria to be on this list? Is it enough to say we support punbb or is it enough to register a domain name which have punbb word regardless from content?

In my opinion the most important thing is content of a forum. If you say you support punbb but if you dont have  support posts for punbb it shouldnt be enough to link your forum in this list.

And i sadly say that i see some forums in that list with zero content and this made me really unhappy after all work we done. If you see something like this in that list please correct it, on the other hand this would be an unfair situation for us.

It's difficult to make this 100% fair. That's one of the reasons I wanted to have it like this instead of having only one site per language listed. I'm sure people will quickly see which site has the most to offer.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

15

Re: International PunBB support

It's difficult to make this 100% fair.

But It is not impossible Rickard expacially in this situation. When i asked you first, you said something about our member count. This morning LT community has 1021 member and evening it rises to 1030. This is our success and we proud but it doesnt look like fair to be listed with a forum which have 3 members with zero content in same page. But you say this is difficult to make fair. I cant understand what makes this difficult.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to have it like this instead of having only one site per language listed.

One site with everything is always better than 10 sites with nothing. If you think this make forums work harder to rice each other, it wont work. Because the most important thing to get best results from people is to give them trust and reward.

The forum that i mentioned online for 2 months and in this time they did nothing but in two months we did nearly everything, we show the way to people how to setup punbb in Turkish to Turkish F.A.Q nearly every important documentation is in Turkish because of us.

You gives your days and nites for coding punbb, i hope you would understand us because we give our days and nites to help users too. But we get this unfair situation by you. Even we wont expect any reward from anyone. But this situation is really sad.

I'm sure people will quickly see which site has the most to offer.

Yes we have much more self confidences for sure. But this doesnt change the situation. We are unhappy about this and we cant understand.

Let me ask you Rickard. If tomorrow a punbb forum owner would  come to you and ask for to list their forum (features below) in international page at german section would you add them?

for instance a german site with features

domain : PunBB-german.de
content : 0 or 1 message
user count : 3-4

I ask this because you did it to us. I wonder if you dio this to german international forum (PunBB-forum.de) would they keep their mounth shot up,i dont think so Rickard. Because democracy doesnt work this way.

I respect you and punbb team and i believe you would give right decision in front of all punbb community forum users.

Regards
LT Admin

Re: International PunBB support

The reason I went away from linking to one site per language was to avoid this exact situation. I don't want to have to be the judge over which site is better. I can't. I usually don't speak the language and thus have very little to go on except the amount of content it contains. For all I know, the administrator of site X might be a complete asshole. I just have no way of knowing. That's why I think it's better to leave it up to the users. If one of two sites is better, eventually, that site will be the de facto site for support in that language. This all happens naturally.

Linking to only one site per language isn't fair because it means the first site that pops up will be the only site. I can't very well remove the link to site A if site B contacts me and tells me they do a better job.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

17

Re: International PunBB support

I don't want to have to be the judge over which site is better.

But you have judged us with our user counts once and you didnt add our link after we gain 500 users you add us. And now you say you dont want to judge and you add a site with 3 users. It is hard to understand.

the administrator of site X might be a complete asshole. I just have no way of knowing.

I can show the way of knowing and you have the way of knowing but you would not like to see. If a site administrator talk this subject in front of all community and if a site administirator who gived days and nites to prepare documents cant be an asshole and he can only be a person who want justice and fair.

If one of two sites is better, eventually, that site will be the de facto site for support in that language. This all happens naturally.

What is the exact meanig of putting a site with zero content at international page?

Linking to only one site per language isn't fair because it means the first site that pops up will be the only site.

There are several sites alone. is this fair? Because exact situation is like this. Exception is us.

I can't very well remove the link to site A if site B contacts me and tells me they do a better job.

Of course you shouldnt do this. You should make your own decisions like leaders this is the way how i saw you once.
But at this point i believe you gived a wrong decision and you support this wrong decision like it is right.

You can add a site near us. We respect that even we can be happy to work with them. But if you add a site (online for 2 months) with zero content near us. It means 'hey LT you did nothing and here is a site like you with zero content, i put them near you because their domain name has punbb word'. Is this the worth you give us? you gived for working persons for punbb in their native language?

One more question what would you do if you see there is a Zero content in our forum about punbb in the morning? Would it be nice?

Anyway my all words are over there, i always behind them and i think this is not fair and i believe you did a mistake, and please remember  leaders are persons who accept their faults in public areas and this doesnt make them bad, in contrast this makes them bigger than ever.

regards

Re: International PunBB support

prit wrote:

But you have judged us with our user counts once and you didnt add our link after we gain 500 users you add us. And now you say you dont want to judge and you add a site with 3 users.

Exactly! Now I no longer need to be the judge. I no longer need to keep up with endless e-mail conversations from people who desperately want me to link to their site.

prit wrote:

I can show the way of knowing and you have the way of knowing but you would not like to see. If a site administrator talk this subject in front of all community and if a site administirator who gived days and nites to prepare documents cant be an asshole and he can only be a person who want justice and fair.

How could I possibly detect that, for example, the administrator of a support site in Hebrew or Chinese was being an asshole to the visitors of that site?

prit wrote:

There are several sites alone. is this fair? Because exact situation is like this. Exception is us.

Because in those cases, I haven't been contacted by any other sites and as far as I know, there aren't any other sites. And you're not the exception. There are also two Italian sites.

prit wrote:

Of course you shouldnt do this. You should make your own decisions like leaders this is the way how i saw you once.
But at this point i believe you gived a wrong decision and you support this wrong decision like it is right.

Then please tell me what you think I should do.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

19

Re: International PunBB support

Then please tell me what you think I should do.

If you believe they can give best support with no content I only respect your decision. There is nothing left i should tell you Rickard.

To make this conversation longer is not gonna give anything to both sides.

Thanks for the international page and keep good working.

Re: International PunBB support

prit wrote:

If you believe they can give best support with no content I only respect your decision.

Sigh. I don't believe anything. I link to both sites to that users can decide for themselves.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

21

Re: International PunBB support

prit what rickard is saying is that he doesn't want to be the judge of anyone or anything. There for he is allowing the users to be the judges.

Re: International PunBB support

And that, in the past, yes he somewhat did because it was the best thing at that time; but having seen it doesn't work all the time now he has a better solution.

Re: International PunBB support

Smartys wrote:

Well, if you think it should be added, tell coolhd to email Rickard wink

He hasn't replied.

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

24

Re: International PunBB support

I have sent an e-mail to Rickard for removing our link from international page at 06.04.2007. After a lot of arguments at our admin area, we decided to stop punbb Turkish support  at 06.04.2007. We wont remove content but we are going to enlarge webmaster section and we are going to add other forum softwares. In this situation to taking link from punbb.org as a support site is not going to be proper for both sides.

25 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-04-07 23:32)

Re: International PunBB support

i don't understand... you are no longer supporting PunBB because you had to share the Turkish support with another site, therefore eliminating one site altogether(your's)?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more