Topic: Best CMS?

What is the best CMS for a company website (in your eyes)...
I already tried a lot, but they all weren't perfect.

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Re: Best CMS?

I would have to recommend PHP-Fusion. Trust me on that one.

Not that I don't like it but...
any others?

(I just want many alternatives right now)

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Uhhmmm... tested it.. isn't really perfect for a company website...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Maybe Textpattern. It really depends on what you call Company Website.

Textpatter is too much bloggish. wink I want just something where you can easily edit templates and stylesheets and can make content pages like about us, our purpose, bla bla...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Textpattern is not a blog software.

Unless you have very specific needs, it should be quite right for what you describe.

lie2815 wrote:

I already tried a lot, but they all weren't perfect.

There is no perfect CMS, each site is different as is the individual running it.

Don't make an assessment of a CMS from the default install, see what people are doing with and take it for a spin for a week. A short install, evaluate, then go to the next one will not even remotely get you close to finding your CMS.

In my eyes, it's Textpattern

I've seen many amazing sites done with Expression Engine. It comes in both free and paid versions, so it couldn't hurt checking it out.

the best Cms is the one you make. so u will understand the functions and how everything works. and you know what and how to do the modding.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

a member of my local LUG told us about this cool website that allows you to try out just about all of the popular CMS / Blogs / BB (punbb included).  check out http://www.opensourcecms.com/

i'm just going to build my own cms on top of punbb.  seems like a great starting point to me.   :-)

quaker wrote:

the best Cms is the one you make. so u will understand the functions and how everything works. and you know what and how to do the modding.

And you spend hundreds of hours doing what's been done dozens of time by other; and you'll get something full a security holes.

Unless one has a good reason to, and the skills and time to back it up; I would advise against this. But if someone wants to go down this road, at least use a framework (like Ruby on Rails), it makes things more secure and much, much, faster to code.

OpenCMS has a lot going for it. I used to use it, but the template system drove me crazy. Looks like it's come a long way since I used it though.

Another very popular one is eZ publish.

I *love* the simplicity and lightweightness of sNews.

15 (edited by Tobi 2007-05-02 10:02)

Both drupal and Joomla are quite popular.
If you want to use them for a company website you should consider the following problems (which also go for most of the rest):
1. Can you use your design?
The answer is a simple no. All CMS systems (have to) follow a certain scheme, so with a little practice you can tell which website has been done with what CMS. This may be a OK for new projects or private sites where you can design after the CMS guidelines. But companies normally give you a layout to work with.

2. Has it all features the company wants?
Both drupal and joomla come with a lot of plugins/extensions that let you do almost anything you like. However, this often has performance impact so one has to be careful not to use too many.
On the other side, most CMS systems come with a wealth of features that you will never use, making the whole thing  a bit more cumbersome to handle.

3. Can it be updated?
For both of them the answer is "in theory, yes".
However, if you really do a lot of customization because your company needs it, especially in the script sources, you will have a big problem.

4. Are they secure?
Not more or less than all other OS applications. You must be ready for regular updates (see above...) then everything will be OK.

Conclusion: I don't know if I would ever use one of them (or any other) for a company job.
The alternative is, as mentioned, write your own.

As for the above comments on "rolling your own": It may be more work to write it but you will get this time back: First of all, you understand (hopefully) your own code a lot better, making it easier to change/update the scripts. Second, you will have exactly the features you need, so it will be faster to work with and easier to extend.
And for the security: Agreed, a custom made script will probably have more leaks than a big public one where thousands look at the code.
But this is also their weakness: A script that nobody knows the source of may have holes but nobody knows about them. This leaves potential hackers to guess, a time consuming process that many are too lazy for.
Whereas bugs in OS apps appear on the internet, and then you have to update fast or you will fall victim for some bored teenies. Because you're just a google search away. 
So, in theory OS CMS systems are more secure, in practice I found that handmade ones are. Provided that you know what you're doing and don't leave your front door too wide open....

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

16 (edited by Jérémie 2007-05-02 13:10)

Tobi wrote:

If you want to use them for a company website you should consider the following problems (which also go for most of the rest):
1. Can you use your design?
The answer is a simple no. All CMS systems (have to) follow a certain scheme, so with a little practice you can tell which website has been done with what CMS.

Good luck doing that with Textpattern, with only looking at the layout.

Without looking at some very specific HTML item (such as the format of the footnotes ID, or the format of the nonce hidden field for the comment system), you won't be able to.

And that's one of the reason Textpattern is quite good. Not the actual reason of course, but the underlying one: a TXP user build his website using XHTML tags and Textpattern tags, exactly the same way he would do that in pure XHTML. There's (in 99.99% of the cases) no control of the CMS on the XHTML generated, and of course no control of the CSS.
And it's not an "option" or a plugin thing for advanced user, it's a requirement. You can't not do it (which can be for some a reason not to choose that software; which is fine: different kind of users, different softwares).

That's the opposite in the "portal" arena, software that present themselves as CMS but are just evolution from the portal days, all the "nuke" things and the like.

Jérémie wrote:

That's the opposite in the "portal" arena, software that present themselves as CMS but are just evolution from the portal days, all the "nuke" things and the like.

That's the point and click your way to a new look, move that block down, move this block to the other side, etc.

pMachine was one of the early systems I used that had a tag based metaphor. Regular XHTML, sprinkle a tag here and there for dynamic content and you had a site up.

For a designer, the tag based approach is the way to go. For a newbie, moving blocks around is really easy until you want to do something with your site that's outside the blocks, so to speak.

How do you guys like cmsmadesimple?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

what is the type of company this will be used for? knowing that will help suggest which cms might be best for you.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

what exactly do you mean?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

some CMSes will be too much for what you need and some will not be enough. like PunBB, it's not for everybody or every situation. knowing what the company you are building the website for does will help determine what they need in a cms and therefore will eliminate the unnecessary ones leaving you with a clearer choice.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr j.

like PunBB, it's not for everybody or every situation.

WHAT? HAHAHA...........
man i do nothing but punbb.... who cares if the clients need it or not..hahaha...

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

lie2815 wrote:

How do you guys like cmsmadesimple?

I like cmsmadesimple pretty well.  I have it running at the moment at http://www.teg.name as a test as I'm trying to upgrade our church's website (http://www.belviewumc.org) and we need a good way to manage content pages (info on youth groups, sunday school classes, etc). The church site currently uses a custom hack of "Custom Pages" from http://www.punres.org/desc.php?pid=165 but it's not that flexible or user-friendly.

Getting a user-friendly, integrated way to add content is a challenge because everyone has a different idea of user friendly smile Right now I'm going back and forth between using CMS Made Simple for content and PunBB for the forum and user stuff (and maybe trying to integrate the two down the road) or doing up my own version of the CMS Made Simple pages functionality as an add-in for PunBB so there is only one user database and one set of stylesheets to worry about. The add-in is being tested at http://forum.andrewteg.com if you're curious.

So for me content wise it's coming down to http://www.teg.name with punBB added on or http://forum.andrewteg.com which needs admin work but the front end is getting there.

quaker wrote:

Dr j.

like PunBB, it's not for everybody or every situation.

WHAT? HAHAHA...........
man i do nothing but punbb.... who cares if the clients need it or not..hahaha...

Q

i hear ya. but it's true. some people it's just not enough for them. hence the success of paid solutions that have EVERYTHING and then some in it.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I am using cmsmadesimple right now for this website.

FluxBB - v1.4.8