Topic: Is function attaching for mods/plugins ever planned?

As much as I love punbb, It amazes me what's needed for installing a mod.

It's not that its particularly difficult to do so, but tedious in some cases, and wrought with the possibility for failure.

Are there plans to improve this process at all through function attachment or the like?

For example, in a small sdk I built a while back for another (smaller, and much simpler) forum, I created a system where you could attach a function to any of the core functions, to be ran before the function executed(receiving the params that were sent to the original function), or after the function was completed, given the return value for the function.

This way, modifying it was simple for a developer, requiring a simple line of code to add the functionality, vs actually modifying the core function. Like so:

attach_function('print_post', 'my_function', AF_BEFORE);

If this is planned, I can wait for it.  If it's not, then I will just modify punbb myself, but the mod would be extensive and unfriendly to install so it would really probably force me to just release the entire package...

Re: Is function attaching for mods/plugins ever planned?

Yes. The extension system for 1.3 aims to address these issues wink

Oh, and moved to Feature Requests wink

Smartys wrote:

Yes. The extension system for 1.3 aims to address these issues wink

http://blog.punbb.org/2007/02/14/mods-extensions/ smile

Nice.  Thanks for the heads up.

I may still end up with my own system...Just for kicks if nothing else...

Nice to know you're working to make it better, that was really my only complaint about punBB.