1 (edited by Sonrep 2007-05-10 22:05)

Topic: SunBB 0.1 released

Well.. in waiting for PunBB 1.3 to be released, I decided to speed up the development, by giving it some competition.

SunBB is a fork of the current development branch of PunBB. Very few stuff have been changed(exept for the name). The signature link to Punbb.org have been kept.

Download

Comments..

Re: SunBB 0.1 released

If the things changed are so few, why not list them? wink

dude07 wrote:

If the things changed are so few, why not list them? wink

Well, a lot variable names have been changed, upgrade-functionality have been disabled. The version have been changed from 1.3 to 0.1..

i cannot access the adminstartion area ... this error apear:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in /www/110mb.com/s/u/p/e/r/m/a/g/supermag/htdocs/Forum/Forum/admin/index.php on line 72

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Fixed and released SunBB 0.1.1..

You might just remove the else on line 72 like this

So what's new or different compared to the current punBB 1.3 dev?

What are the advantages of SunBB vs PunBB?

If I'm gonna check out SunBB I would want to know why its worthwhile.

i dont understand the reason for the fork?

unless you made a ton of modifications and tons of new features.

what you need to do is make a page with some info on why its better or whats different and then also have a version running online for us to look at also.

from the looks of it, it looks like that OpenLD is a modified version of PunBB, is that what SunBB is?

OpenLD looks very very interesting however

Right now, the only advantage is that you don't need to checkout from punbbs subversion repository.

Well, it wasn't intended to be special. Just fixing bugs and then release a stable ASAP.

Just want to read some more comments and later decide the future of this project.

I don't mind a fork, I see a good reason for it to remove even more features from the board such as ranks or some fields in the profile menu. What are your plans for the future with SunBB?

IMO its kind of lame to fork some else's work then promote your utensil on their website.

I'll stick w/ punbb.  lots-o-luck

SuperMAG wrote:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in /www/110mb.com/s/u/p/e/r/m/a/g/supermag/htdocs/Forum/Forum/admin/index.php on line 72

Sonrep wrote:

well after i changed that i got another error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /www/110mb.com/s/u/p/e/r/m/a/g/supermag/htdocs/Forum/Forum/admin/index.php on line 78

MadHatter wrote:

IMO its kind of lame to fork some else's work then promote your utensil on their website.

I respect your criticism but, ain't this exactly what the GPL license allows to do? As long as Sonrep provides the source code for SunBB he has all the rights to do it.

Sonrep wrote:

Right now, the only advantage is that you don't need to checkout from punbbs subversion repository.

You can go here: http://dev.punbb.org/browser/branches/punbb-1.3-dev

On the bottom you'll see: Download in other formats:

Click on: Zip Archive

do you have a link to a site that is running sunbb?

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Did you actually add any hooks?

Strofanto wrote:
MadHatter wrote:

I respect your criticism but, ain't this exactly what the GPL license allows to do? As long as Sonrep provides the source code for SunBB he has all the rights to do it.

Yes, but to post it in the "Modifications" area of the original project's website is in my opinion, just damn rude. Create your own website and do it.

This just seems utterly pointless...

Whether this topic is staying or going its certainly in the wrong forum. Moving.

SuperMAG wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

Sonrep wrote:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /www/110mb.com/s/u/p/e/r/m/a/g/supermag/htdocs/Forum/Forum/admin/index.php on line 78

Sounds like you removed more than you should. I havn't tested this script, but I guess that you just removed an extra {. If that was the case, read the link again. Otherwise, I may take a look on it.

MadHatter wrote:

Don't promote my own website, in the footer there's a link to the project page on sourceforge and to punbb.org.

hcgtv wrote:

You can go here: http://dev.punbb.org/browser/branches/punbb-1.3-dev

On the bottom you'll see: Download in other formats:

Click on: Zip Archive

ok..

quaker wrote:

do you have a link to a site that is running sunbb?

Q

Nope..

Andy wrote:

Yes, but to post it in the "Modifications" area of the original project's website is in my opinion, just damn rude. Create your own website and do it.

This just seems utterly pointless...

Was just interesting in the feedback. Wanted to hear the reaction from the punbb users/administrators first in order to see if it's ok. Kept the PunBB link in the footer and have no intentions to remove it in the future(If I'm going to continue with this project). Not planning to make a website of it, the maximum plans was just to fix bugs and then release a stable on sf.

sf seem to be good for most.. why not just do ur own site and forum... with a few mods you can do ur own wiki.. sf is starting to fill up with junk stuff and slowing down alot.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

You changed the name, basically replaced Pun with Sun everywhere it shows. You changed the footer a bit. Ok, I don't get it. You released an incomplete version of Pun 1.3 under a different name. What's the point?

What bugs have you 'fixed' to make it 'stable'?

Strofanto wrote:
MadHatter wrote:

to fork or not to fork.  IMO postnuke is better than phpnuke, but that is a fairly extensive fork (not that that has really any bearing on the matter).  my only thoughts were that to come here and tell ppl about it is sort of a lame move.  if you're on sourceforge, people will find it.  if you're fork is good (ex: postnuke) then people will use it, but I'd consider posting here about a fork of their as yet, unfinished next version is not really a friendly gesture (especially since you haven't done much work on 1. the  base product, 2. funding to get the project finished or 3. modifications to what you have forked).

absolutely not trying to be rude or disrespectful you you personally at all, so if I came across that way, I apologize.

Sonrep wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

Sonrep wrote:

Sounds like you removed more than you should. I havn't tested this script, but I guess that you just removed an extra {. If that was the case, read the link again. Otherwise, I may take a look on it.

ok could you please upload that file again so i get no problem next time ... i cant find any thing wrong in what i changed .. its  Forum/admin/index.php ..

MadHatter wrote:

I totally agree with your comment. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Then I wish a moderator to close/remove this thread. Sorry for posting it here.

Have also ceased development on this project, don't have time to support it anyway.