1 (edited by eric235u 2007-05-30 20:04)

Topic: puntracker - a bittorrent indexer mod seeks beta testers

hi all.  i wanted a bittorrent module for punbb and i wanted to learn php.  so i've put together a bittorrent indexer called puntracker.  i'm posting here to ask for a couple of people to try it out and tell me about any bugs.  also i desire for a more experienced programmer to look over my code and help me close any obvious exploits.  punform.php is particularly week.  i haven't figured out yet on how to make a proper white list for the form.

please remember that this is beta software and not to be used on a production website.

here's what it looks like,
http://newmag.org/downloadsVisitor/foru … r1beta.png

thanks for any tips!

Re: puntracker - a bittorrent indexer mod seeks beta testers

im not a big torrent guy so im not going to try this out yet, BUT, i do really want to see this advance!

i am pritty sure that the downloads i offer on my site would be better off using torrents to transfer the data so i can save bandwidth (i dunoo? can i even upload a file to my server and make a torrent file for it? would that save bandwidth?) for the larger files i have for game updates (ie mirrors).

anyways, any updates would be great!

3 (edited by eric235u 2007-05-24 14:48)

if you're interested here's a good general overview of bittorrent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

this mod is not a bittorrent tracker.  it's a bittorrent indexer.  the most important difference is that no files are stored on your server.

so you would have the a file on your home computer, let's call it aKickAssMovie.mpg.  using your bittorrent client (azureus and ktorrent are good ones) you create a meta data file (whatever.torrent) using a bittorrent tracker (like thepiratebay.org).

using this mod you can input some basic information about your torrent.  this mod will the occasionally connect to tracker and get some stats about your torrent (aka scrape) and display the data on your punbb based website.  this way visitors to your site will be able to know how large the torrent swarm is for aKickAssMovie.mpg and be able to join if they want. 

if you're looking to share really large files nothing beats bittorrent.  just for fun i made a ~40GB file and shared it with hundreds of people.  worked like a charm.  bandwidth costs did not increase.

oh screw it, i'm going to be brave and use the mod on a public site.  if you want to check it out see:  http://torrent.newmag.org/  the site is pretty empty and i'll use it as a testing ground for the mod.  i've also posted the code on punres.org.

let me know if anything particularly sucks.  :-)

i just dont know how this mod works but i know its makes ur site a torrent site ok ... does it need special servers or special place or special abilites of your hosting .. and what is difference between downloading file directly from site and downloading a torrent from that site. .. i tried to download from you site that torrent and worked wonderfully at high speed .. so could you explain

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

6 (edited by eric235u 2007-05-25 12:32)

SuperMAG wrote:

i just dont know how this mod works but i know its makes ur site a torrent site ok ... does it need special servers or special place or special abilites of your hosting .. and what is difference between downloading file directly from site and downloading a torrent from that site. .. i tried to download from you site that torrent and worked wonderfully at high speed .. so could you explain

hi.

your website host doesn't need anything special except curl.  see:  http://curl.haxx.se/  your host probably provides this.  check their faq or list of available php functions. 

there is no difference in downloads.  for an example, when you clicked on the link at my website to download the '.torrent' file you actually received the file from the orginal torrent tracker, not from me.  with this mod no files are stored on your server.  you merely index or list torrents in other places.

you could just have a link to the torrent file in a forum if you wanted and it would be the same.  the only difference is that this mod displays torrent statistics using 'scrape'.  scrape is where i tell the original tracker the torrent hash i'm interested in and the tracker replies with information, like how many seeds, leeches and completed downloads (as well as a bunch of other info if they want).

if you're interested in a better description check this out:
http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecif … Convention

hope that helps.

7 (edited by eric235u 2007-05-25 19:46)

it also should be noted that this mod will only work with trackers that support 'scrape' in the form of 'scrape?hash_id=' and unfortunately not all trackers do.  in fact i've found one popular tracker that gives out bad information when you scrape it.  so i suggest only posting your torrents to a tracker that properly supports scrape and then posting that torrent to your modified punbb website.