1 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-10-19 23:36)

Topic: sig area inconsistant, how do i fix it?

the area under the line where someone's sig would go is inconsistent with the size of the post. let me exaplain:

one line post, the area is quite tall. example:
http://www.theplatoon.com/uploads/thumbs/4_sig.png

more than one line in the post and the area shrinks.

how would i go about making it smaller and grow if the user's sig requires it instead of the size of the post dictating how big it is?

also, has anyone tried to modify the post "template" to have the user info on top of the post and was successful?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Re: sig area inconsistant, how do i fix it?

could you not assign it a style in the css to handle that?

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

3 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-10-19 23:42)

i'm assuming the second part of my question would have something to do with this part of viewtopic.php?:

<div id="p<?php echo $cur_post['id'] ?>" class="blockpost<?php echo $vtbg ?><?php if (($post_count + $start_from) == 1) echo ' firstpost'; ?>">
    <h2><span><span class="conr">#<?php echo ($start_from + $post_count) ?> </span><a href="viewtopic.php?pid=<?php echo $cur_post['id'].'#p'.$cur_post['id'] ?>"><?php echo format_time($cur_post['posted']) ?></a></span></h2>
    <div class="box">
        <div class="inbox">
            <div class="postleft">
                <dl>
                    <dt><strong><?php echo $username ?></strong></dt>
                    <dd class="usertitle"><strong><?php echo $user_title ?></strong></dd>
                    <dd class="postavatar"><?php echo $user_avatar ?></dd>
<?php if (count($user_info)) echo "\t\t\t\t\t".implode('</dd>'."\n\t\t\t\t\t", $user_info).'</dd>'."\n"; ?>
<?php if (count($user_contacts)) echo "\t\t\t\t\t".'<dd class="usercontacts">'.implode('  ', $user_contacts).'</dd>'."\n"; ?>
                </dl>
            </div>
            <div class="postright">
                <h3><?php if (($post_count + $start_from) > 1) echo ' Re: '; ?><?php echo pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_topic['subject']) ?></h3>
                <div class="postmsg">
                    <?php echo $cur_post['message']."\n" ?>
<?php if ($cur_post['edited'] != '') echo "\t\t\t\t\t".'<p class="postedit"><em>'.$lang_topic['Last edit'].' '.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_post['edited_by']).' ('.format_time($cur_post['edited']).')</em></p>'."\n"; ?>
                </div>
<?php if ($signature != '') echo "\t\t\t\t".'<div class="postsignature"><hr />'.$signature.'</div>'."\n"; ?>
            </div>
            <div class="clearer"></div>
            <div class="postfootleft"><?php if ($cur_post['poster_id'] > 1) echo '<p>'.$is_online.'</p>'; ?></div>
            <div class="postfootright"><?php echo (count($post_actions)) ? '<ul>'.implode($lang_topic['Link separator'].'</li>', $post_actions).'</li></ul></div>'."\n" : '<div> </div></div>'."\n" ?>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>
~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr J. im looking at the base.css and it has some control over that area.

could it be in this?

/****************************************************************/
/* 7. VIEWTOPIC SETUP */
/****************************************************************/

/* 7.1 This is the basic structure. */

DIV.postleft, DIV.postfootleft {
    FLOAT:left;
    WIDTH: 18em;
    OVERFLOW: hidden;
    POSITION: relative;
}

DIV.postright, DIV.postfootright {
    BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 18em;
    BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: solid
}

DIV.postfootright, P.multidelete {TEXT-ALIGN: right}

DIV.blockpost>DIV>DIV.inbox {PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px}

/* 7.3 This is the div which actually contains the post and is inside .postright */

DIV.postmsg {WIDTH:100%}

/* 7.4 These items control overflow and scrolling within posts. */

DIV.incqbox {WIDTH: 100%; OVERFLOW: hidden}
DIV.scrollbox {WIDTH: 100%; OVERFLOW: auto}
IMG.postimg {max-width: 100%}
A .postimg {max-width: 100%}

/* 7.5 Turn off the poster information column for preview */

#postpreview DIV.postright {BORDER-LEFT: none}

/* 7.6 Create the horizontal line above signatures */

DIV.postsignature HR {
    MARGIN-LEFT: 0px;
    WIDTH: 200px;
    TEXT-ALIGN: left;
    HEIGHT: 1px;
    BORDER:none
}

also in the post.php there a list with the message goes
rows="20" does that not set the height of the message box?

<textarea name="req_message" rows="20" cols="95" tabindex="<?php echo $cur_index++ ?>"><?php echo isset($_POST['req_message']) ? pun_htmlspecialchars($message) : (isset($quote) ? $quote : ''); ?></textarea>

Its an optical illusion. It is always the same size, it just appears larger when the post is short because there is blank space underneath it. The post has to be tall enough to accommodate the left hand column. If not the user information would stick out the bottom of the post.

You don't need to modify viewtopic.php to put the user information at the top, thats actaully its natural position, its forced to one side by css.

7 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2007-10-20 02:07)

Paul wrote:

Its an optical illusion. It is always the same size, it just appears larger when the post is short because there is blank space underneath it.

unless it's my style that's doing this, which i don't remember what i edited, i'm going to have to disagree with you boss. wink

with user info:
http://www.theplatoon.com/uploads/thumbs/4_sigtest_with_info.png

without user info:
http://www.theplatoon.com/uploads/thumbs/4_sigtest_without_info.png  http://www.theplatoon.com/uploads/thumbs/4_sigtest_without_info2.png

it's not a big deal. it's just something i noticed and was wondering how and if it can be fixed.

i'll check out the user info above the post a bit later.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

quaker wrote:

also in the post.php there a list with the message goes
rows="20" does that not set the height of the message box?

<textarea name="req_message" rows="20" cols="95" tabindex="<?php echo $cur_index++ ?>"><?php echo isset($_POST['req_message']) ? pun_htmlspecialchars($message) : (isset($quote) ? $quote : ''); ?></textarea>

if i'm not mistaken this defines the size of the text box for posting a post or quick post?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Paul is completely correct, the sizes of the posts don't change, unless the text doesn't fit and then it expands. The signature is just being wrapped against the text.

Dr. Jeckyl: Your screen caps don't show the sig area. What they show is the sig area plus the empty space underneath it. Give div.postsignature a background colour and you will see what I mean.

Paul wrote:

Dr. Jeckyl: Your screen caps don't show the sig area. What they show is the sig area plus the empty space underneath it. Give div.postsignature a background colour and you will see what I mean.

aha... now how do i go about making it a fixed size until it's needed by the users sig and not defined by the post size? or will it be more trouble than it's worth.
\

~James
FluxBB - Less is more